Possible cheap microscope camera?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wonder if something like this would work as a camera for demonstrations / classes?

It's a little pen-type microscope camera that it looks like it would be pretty easy to strap (probably litteraly - a little velcro should do the trick with maybe a ThemoLoc bit to adjust the angle) to a microscope's mount. The trick would be getting the field of view properly centered and then remembering to adjust the magnification to about what the scope is set at.

This is a digital scope that's meant to connect to a computer so for demos / classes you'd either have to have the display there on your computer or pipe it from there to a monitor (which is pretty standard to be able to do on most laptops). This little $149 one may not have sufficient resolution but then again, just how demanding is this usually?

It would definitely make it easier to make videos - just use the included software to record the stream rather than leaving it in the 'live preview' mode.

What do you folks who actually know about these things think?

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah, it starts at $.99 but did you see the shipping fees.......flat rate $89.99.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

No didn't see the shippng charges. you are right!!:mad:

I don't like that ether.. There are many others selling similar items that will work just as well and are not messing around..

AirAmp

nomentalgiant

Elite Cafe Member
That looks pretty cool though i wonder what it's working distance is? All of the pictures show the lens pretty close to what ever it's filming.

I think this may be another viable options for those without a video mount on their microscope. My wife teaches 4th grade and uses this in lieu of the old transparency projectors. Its great because she can simply pull out a book and film what ever she wants to show the class without the hassle of converting the document to those transparency sheets.

http://www.elmousa.com/newproducts.php

It think she said they run around $400 or $500. If anyone really wants to see how it works, I'd be willing to bring one home for the evening and give it a test run so you can "try" before you buy.

Latest posts

Sponsors