Henery golden boy receiver

Does anyone know what kind of metal the reciever is. Its a henery repeating cowboy style "golden boy".
It looked like that phoney nickel silver, because it has a slight brass color. But when I sanded it the gold finish came off and it looks like nickel silver. Was it plated?

David.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
David...We have discussed this subject I believe on this forum and the FEGA forum. Bob Evans FEGA historian
warned us in our newsletter when these Golden Boys came on the market that they were plated, and not to
even think about engraving them. To anyone who is going to work on firearms do some research first.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
The Golden Boy Henry Rifle I've seen topics on this subject before ,and evidently
Henry made them both ways. Gold plated over Brass, and Gold plated over an alloy
I engraved one a year or so ago not knowing of the ones plated over the alloy. I was lucky and happened to get one that was gold plated brass. Mine was the 17 cal. HMR .

The brass is plated with copper first ,then gold plated so if you do decide to engrave one of these be aware that the copper will show up. How you would know if you have a alloy ,or brass reciever? I would suggest
contacting the manufacturer I'm shure they would know by serial numbers which ones where brass ,or alloy.

herrnusser

Hi guys! Ironically enough I took a L.E.O. tour of the Henry factory one week ago. Being familiar with the above posting, I inquired about the receive composition/ finishing process. Its seems after some experimentation they currently used 2 general types. Small bore (rimfire) in fact a propriatary Aluminiuim based alloy where as the larger (.45 colt etc.) are brass framed. Both are coated with various chemical finishes so it might be a good idea to recoat the finished work with a bake-on laquer type of finish similar to the Lauer type. The stuff works great and I'm sure that will be a future post.
ED

Well I guess Iv'e done it now. I started sanding on the golden boy and the plating came off so I had to sand off the whole thing, now it's a silver boy. I started engraving on the casted material, :eek: and you guys are right, It's terrible. It's hardness is inconsistont and it doesn't cut clean. It clobs up when you cut it. Inlaying gold would be imbosible. Luckely its my buddy brett's rifle, I don't think he will get too upset about it.
well I'm not too proud of it but heres what it looks like.
Dave
http://www.santacruziron.com

Attachments

• bretts rifle 013.jpg
    bretts rifle 013.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 227
  • bretts rifle 029.jpg
    bretts rifle 029.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 248

loyd freeman

David.My first rifle to engrave was the 1866 Uberti and it was a joy to engrave. The only thing bad was taking the screws out. They must put them in with a drill press. The brass was like cutting butter.Loyd

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One of the first things you learn, the hard way, when you engrave a Uberti is get a new set of screws. They do not use a drill press to install them but rather a relative of King Kong. The heads are soft and they are a bugger to get out and you will ruin them. Guaranteed. Of course this has never happend to me.......harumph

Marty

JJ Roberts

Loyd & Marty,

I have never had a problem getting any of the Uberti rifles apart. I have a set of Brownell screwdrivers..just make sure the hollow ground screw driver fits the screw..get a good grip on the screwdriver and tap on the
handle with a plastic mallet. I use a penetrating oil called P-B Blaster, especially good on older guns. Also I made a set of hollow ground screw drivers out of Allen Wrenches which I use in the drill press...I place the gun receiver in the drill press vise which is padded..put the hollow ground screw driver in the chuck..lower the screw driver into the screw..hold it down and with an adjustable wrench back the screw out very slowly..works like a charm. Hope this will be helpful to you.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
J.J. I love your comments. It's easy to see that you have been there, done that. Have you ever used brake fluid on screws as a penetrating oil? It seems to do the trick for me.

Andrew Biggs

Hi David

Considering the circumstances your doing well. The big thing is that you are finishing what you started. Sometimes the best lessons are the hard ones and we can learn a lot from them.

Please post a picture when she's all finished

Cheers
Andrew

JJ Roberts

Glenn..I have heard of brake fluid being used, but the PB-Blaster is the best I have used so far...it especially works well on the older firearms...keep up the good work.

JJ

Latest posts

Sponsors