Practice Plate

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Differences of opinion make the world go around... and they can all be stated tactfully. However, this thread is getting very heated and very off topic. To refresh in everyone's mind the rules of use of this forum:

It's About the Art of Engraving

First and foremost, the mission of The Engraver's Cafe is to provide a friendly and relaxed setting and to share, help, and support others. It is the goal of the administrator that members consider the Cafe to be their cafe, and maintain good community spirit and take small town pride in the forum.

Community Attitude

• While friendly debate is not discouraged, postings that engage in mudslinging or intend to inflame or insult are unacceptable. Everyone is free to disagree, but if a member feels the need to post a personal attack or abuse, then take it elsewhere. Arguing and bickering are unwelcome in the Engraver's Cafe.
• Please think before you type.
• Expect others to follow by example when you post messages. Please support each other and help maintain a friendly Cafe.
• Read over your response carefully before posting to ensure it cannot be interpreted the wrong way and cause unintended offense.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Tez,
First thanks for the PM. You had a lot of advice, so here's a little more.
Since you've gone 3d by relieving the back ground, don't stop. The scrolls that goes
under
the frame from what I here are allowed. So, lower them. The line at the edge should not be a
groove, but rather the edge of the frame. This is for people looking closely at your engraving so
it makes sense. To add interest to the scrolls you can angle them by grinding either left or right
and then finishing them to original surface. This leave you a flat surface to engrave on but it's
at an interesting angle. This is not the only way to do this engraving, it's just my way.
As if it were my job that I had to sell.

Secondly, form reading all the wisdom put forth on other thing than the Tez's plate.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...................................................
Did Tez ask you guys for all that stuff, or did Tez get dumped on?:confused:
As for myself, I going to stick to subject at hand. If I have some other issue, I will start a new
thread and all contenders are invited.:mad: :D Burning a newbie is in bad manners. They just might
be reluctant to say anything.

Last edited:

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
A word of encouragement.

Hello Tez, I have to say you are a gutsey chap. I consider myself an intermediate engraver, but I am not gutsey enough to post some of my work and say to the world let me have it. What you have done has demonstrated your desire to learn and accept instruction. That is very good. Yes it is well worth spending the money and time to receive instruction and to learn to do it right the first time and avoid developing bad habits. They are awfully hard to break once they become habit. I made the big sacrafice back in 1979 when I decided to move to Colorado and attend Trinidad Junior College and go to gunsmith school. It was a long difficult three years. I worked in the cole mine at night while going to school in the day. It was tough. But the Education that I received in that short time and what I learned from some very fine gunsmiths I treasure. But what is great about it is that I learned the basics and techniques right the first time. Keep studing the work of the masters. How grand it would be to sit at their feet.

Ed DeLorge

Tezash

Thank you all again, it is interesting discussion. I learned a lot from this thread. Tez.

Latest posts

Sponsors