Newbie question

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Can anyone explain the pro's and con's of the Gravermach vs. the Gravermeister. I was told I had 30 days to decide if I wanted to keep my Gravermach or send it back for the Gravermeister. I originally intended to purchase the Gravermeister after talking with an Engraver who has used it over the past 40 years (and it has never broken). I was told that since I already have an air compressor (It's a porter cable, 125 psi, 6 gal pancake compressor, no oil / I used it for framing nailer and brads) I would be better off with the Gravermach. It was one that had been reconditioned from the GRS classes and I got it for $821.00. I read the tips archive about compressors and mine is cycling correctly but cycles quite frequently due to air escaping from the handpiece and also using the handpiece to engrave. I was told the compressor would kick only every few hours, mine seems to kick on every few mins after dropping 30 psi. After reading the tips archive it sounds like I need a better compressor like the silent air. I like the Gravermach alot but have nothing to compare it with and the noisy compressor is bothering the wife. I would appreciate any feedback that would help me. Thanks in advance.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Michael

The compressor thing will drive you absolutley insane if you are noise sensative. A bit like Chinese water torture.

All of the airtools share the same problem to one degree or another. They use air so therefore the compressor has to kick in.

You have a couple of options. Rig up the compressor outside and away from the house with a long hose. If the neighbours are close then you will drive them insane with the noise.

Get a reeeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllly big compressor that only cycles once in a while but still drive eveyone crazy at midnight.

Or get a silent compressor........which are truly wonderful things!!!! Everybodies sanity stays intact then and your wife will thank you for it.

The Meister is the same. A bit like the old airbrush compressors, all that chug, chug, chugging can really get to you after a while. But for some people it isn't a problem.

Cheers
Andrew

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have a gravermax, but have used a gravermeister quite a lot. One thing, with the older gravermeisters, is that they can build up heat in the handpiece, after extended hard use (several hours of uninterrupted engraving will do it). I found that to be a clue to take a break. Also I used an older gravermeister, which had a top speed of only 1200 SPM, and I sure like the variable speeds of the gravermax. Different metals cut better at different speeds, and stippling works better at different speeds too, but you will learn how to work with which ever tool you end up with. They are all great, compared to hand pushing.

Will

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The GraverMach is a superior machine to the old Gravermeister. Follow Andrew's suggestions and keep your 'Mach. The Gravermeister is definitely a proven machine, but it's noisy and doesn't have the options of the Mach. Personally, I think it would be a step backward to go from a GraverMach to a Gravermeister.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Search the archives here, I think you will find plans to build a silent compressor using refrigerator parts. Or I seem to recall the Mitch Moschetti had a silent compressor for sale quite reasonable, I thought about buying it myself. Look in the For Sale section.

But like Sam said, I would not consider the Meister if I had a Mach already.

Greetings from Southeast Tennessee

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Keep the Mach... The Gravermiester is a good machine if you wanted to travel without the use of a compressor but the Mach is much more versatile. Find a different compressor and/or at worst, put a 1/4 turn shut off valve near the machine so you can turn off the air feed when it isn't being used.
Rex

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
The others have given you good advice on the Gravermach...as far as the compressor. I can relate.
I "HAD" a Porter Cable pancake compressor, used it for about a year, dang thing was so loud, I jumped everytime it cycled on.
I found a new compressor. Not as quite as the Silentaire but not much louder than normal speaking. It's called a Grip-Rite, model GR152CM...cost was about $160. You can find them on line and maybe there's a dealer near you so you can check them out for yourself.

www.grip-rite.com

Jerry

Last edited:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Michael, I vote keep the GraverMach. I have both and there is no comparison in the level of machine (GraverMach over the Gravermeister). I still use the Meister when I'm out at shows or have no other choice, but the Mach is more responsive and quiet. As for the compressors I have a silent-air which I love and use most days. Before I had that I charged up a 20 gallon sears oil-less compressor (it took about 2 minutes of noise) and then I turned it off so it wouldn't accidently turn on and scare me while I was engraving. I would get over an hour of engraving in peace before I would notice the drop in air pressure at which time I would turn on the compressor and get a cup of coffee. It worked quite well in that I could control when the noise happened. If you bought an even larger tank compressor you would have more time between charges. My hour was also with the GraverMax which had continual air bleed. The new GraverMach turns off the air if you turn off the machine so depending on what you are doing you could get even more time between compressor charges.

Good luck. :)

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a simple and cheap solution. Make a box that will fit over the compressor (I have one of those little pancakes too) or find a cardboard box. Line the inside with some of that egg carton type foam with the little peaks and that will do a suprising job of cutting down on the noise.

Just put the box over it and make sure it's just big enough to have some free space around the compressor and it won't overheat. This foam is often found in shipping boxes and is thicker than that stuff you find as a mattress cover add on; that stuff won't work as well.

By the way, if you don't like the compressor noise now with the Mach I can guarantee you'll hate the noise from the gravermeister because it sits right next to you. Plus, you cannot lenghten the hose from the meister to the handpiece to get it farther away from you as it will not function properly; the hose length is sort of calibrated for lack of a better term, I tried it.

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Michael, I agree with the others; the Mach is a far superior machine to the Meister. The thing is that GRS tools go wrong so rarely that people tend to stick with what they have. So if someone's been engraving with a GraverMeister for 30 years, and they get on well with it, they'll probably see no reason to change. However, as a newbie it's worthwhile starting with the latest technology.

Regarding your compressor, the tank is probably a tad on the small side. When I bought my original Max I also bought a silent compressor at the same time. This had a small tank and would cycle every 5 - 10 minutes. In the summer it would get so hot it'd shut itself off until it cooled down. I now have a much larger (but still a donut shaped) Sil Air which is a little noisier than my old compressor but only cycles 3 - 4 times an hour.

acronn

Enclosing the noisy compressor will work well. Also putting something on the bottom to keep out dirt and dust will help over the longer run. Best not to place the compressor in a dusty location, like under a house, without a clean floor for it.