Copying the work of other engravers

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay Daniel, indeed he was Dutch.
Even now, some works of Vanmeer could be made by van Meegeren as they all are signed by Vanmeer.

arnaud

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud, do you think this is worth anything? It's a Ver-Coggan circa 79....that's 1979 :)

Phil

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice Phil, but you need to sign it if you want it to be an original Coggan.
If it is meant to be a copy of the Mona Lisa, you failed. :big grin:
Also for the frame if it is an original Coggan.

BTW, don't know who's portrait this is, but sure looks good to me, same for the earrings.

arnaud

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is signed Arnaud, bottom left corner and it's not "Vermeer" there, but it is a copy of a painting originally by him called "Girl with a pearl earing".

Phil

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil, just looked at the original "Girl with a pearl earring"

Did not know about this painting Phil, even not now, is this a copy you made? as the original seems to be in the Mauritshuis in The Hague.

arnaud

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Arnaud I did a couple of Vermeers back in the 70's before I engraved and when I had a lot more time.:)

Phil

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for showing the painting Phil. It shows your exceptional artistic skill before you picked up a graver. It is another example that shows the best engravers started with the art.

Roger

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That explains perhaps some of your bulino talent.
I also think we all had more time in the 70's, could be our age but I think we all where more Zen, or at least we thought we were.
So your primary school education was the Academy? as you don't tell about that in the interview archive.

arnaud

arnaud

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It could be that the most powerful enity here in the USofA could be of service to those of you who have copywrited material being copied. The 3 credit agencies used by nearly every lender-Send the bill for using your work-they dont pay file report following these guidelines http://www.ehow.com/how_5006093_report-bad-debt-credit-bureau.html-most all of us have lic and perhaps a few min doing the paperwork could seriously discourage un-reimbersed infringments. Credit agencies have more power than the government-just a thought-Fred

Last edited:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Copying designs happens all the time, least they signed it with their name & not phils?
If its just a one off copy for their own use or a friend ect and not an attempt to run a business out of it ie: pretend they can do this for a company to order... then i can`t see what the fuss is about to be honest.

All the best get copied "jewellery,clothing,watches.....) and it is in their best interests as once they stop being copied they are no longer a name.

I would take it as a compliment, not everyone can design, & to take on a design like a phil coggan it takes abit of skill and hard effort i would imagine.

I doubt throwing toys out of the pram over it is necessary, at the end of the day, those in the "know" will recognise the design and name and figure it out.

If the guy gets a job to design from scratch he won`t be able to.. or maybe he can? maybe he just loved that design so much he wanted to try....

So what?

Like i said, so long as not to make money on the same scale with it or pretend that they have designed it i can`t see a big deal.

By the way, i never copy anyones designs knowingly except maybe a partial part for practice, to get the idea that i can then develop (maybe) :rolleyes:

Lighten up a bit big boys, your business and reputation is safe.

If the guy had signed it falsely, now that would be abit different...

Anyway, ask first if for a "job", maybe they take some % commision for the design, or just try a part for your own practice so you can develop the idea yourself.......

Thats my dollars worth :big grin:

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
I'm new to the wonders and pleasures of Engraving, I know how hard I work to come up with something original to engrave for practice purposes and will be the 1st to admit that I have seen pieces that I thought would make a great piece to practice with, PRACTICE being the key word, I never publish or take credit for them EVER, If I were to only practice with original pieces I would be struggling to draw all day and get no practical experience actually Engraving, so I Borrow , I practice drawing at night while eating and other times where Im not at my bench, Thank you to all of you who have no problem letting me practice with their beautiful designs, I owe you guys Everything,

Latest posts

Sponsors