Pearl Harbor knife

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

This was a knife I did for the 50th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. It was always one of my favorite engraving projects. Hard to believe I did it 18 years ago. Time does fly.

Unfortunately, due to some deadline conflicts, I never really got any good pictures of this knife, just some quickies I took. Right now, this is the only oone that I can find. In addition to what you you see on this side, there was a green gold inlay of a P40 Warhawk, and the opposite front bolster was covered by a a large pink gold rising sun. In the center was Commander Fuchida’s Kate torpedo bomber in green gold with yellow gold stripes on the vertical tail surfaces. At the back of the knife were three yellow gold tiger heads for Tora, Tora, Tora. I sure wish I could get it back and get some digital shots of it, but it was resold to Japan I believe shortly after I finished it, and I have no idea where it is at now. For the record, Scott Sawby was the maker.

Don't just look at the engraving, take time to remember today all those that gave their all , both on December 7th, and throughout the war.

Last edited:

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Scott, this is my absolute favourite of your engravings (second being Tut's gun). The scene is just sooo nice. Too bad you don't have photos of the other side...

I think the guys who made the movie some years ago got inspiration from that knife :)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The inlaid gold fire/explosion is very effective. I'd forgotten about this one, Scott. Thanks for bringing it back to memory. :beerchug:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I hadn't seen that before Scott. Awesome. I would like to see more pictures too! Maybe the new owner will see this thread and post some:big grin:

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
beautiful... was watching the history channel earlier today, tragic but facsinating history, hope we all learn from it...

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Wonderful piece, Scott. Great engraving honoring a sad day.
I remember hearing of this attack on the BBC in London.
My flag has been flying at half-mast all day.
Best always.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott, as you may know already, this is my all time favorite knife engraving and the subject matter has a good bit to do with that. I wish I could hold it in my hand and study it.

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Scott,
Beautiful Work...

My Mothers husband to be was a crew member on the USS Arizona that morning... he was killed. If the Japanese hadn't bombed Pear that morning I wouldn't be here.

She did eventually met my dad who was a fly boy in the South Pacific (B-24's 307th HBG).

Just a little family history......

Sponsors