+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    in the land of Scrolls, somewhere between Lindsay, GRS and Ngraver
    Post Thanks / Like

Very informative thread guys, and I've cut more bolt handles than I wished.
    Scott Pilkington
    http://learn2engrave.com/scottshistory.shtml
    A gun and a parachute have a common dynamic. When you need one nothing else will really suffice.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone who has responded. Much appreciated and I am now bumbling my way through.
    Martin-great website by your fellow countryman. I spent some time admiring the engraving and your layout information is very good as well as your wonderfully cut knob. Well done professor.
    John as always simple and brilliant.
    Marcus, thanks for the response and the insights. Maybe I will be lucky and never do enough of these to become really good.

Post Thanks / Like

As a guy who learned to do it with files this is very infomative. The idea with the washer made me kick myself; it's too easy. I found two panels difficult to space perfectly, but three makes it easier to hide small distances.

The nice part of using a file is that we would easily clean up any over runs.

Post Thanks / Like

all the more reason for the youngsters to learn on curved surfaces. stunning bolt art, martin ! and a tutorial as well. many thanks, sir.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done a ton of 'em and there are a few tricks to it. As Martin said above, and showed in the photos, you need to find the 'south pole' and put a small sharp punch mark on it. To find this spot, I put the bolt in a vise vertically, as plumb as possible, then eyeball the punch to the top dead center, re-checking at 90 degrees, until I'm satisfied it's close, then whack it with a hammer. With a little practice you'll be surprised how close you can get.

Next, you need a pair of dividers with one short leg and one bent leg to scribe a line around the circumference (for several reasons*, I prefer not going all the way to the fattest mid-point. stay a little closer to the knob end).

For panel spacing, I use an 1/8" wide strip of white Post-It correction tape, several inches long. I wrap it around the circumference with one edge right on the scribed line, then, with a very sharp pencil, mark where it overlaps itself. I then stick the strip to my bench top and divvie it up into however many panels (I like 5) by trial-&-error with a pair of sharp dividers. Hint- start guessing down the middle of the tape, then put the dead on divisions at the edge. Starting at an appropriate point (usually the side where the knob is at its farthest from the stock/receiver), wrap the tape back around the scribed circumference and make scribe marks at the divisions. Then put small punch marks at each mark. TRY TO BE AS ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE- little errors can multiply and will look like . Use these to scribe the panels, borders, etc., with dividers.

*This keeps the rosette from being too big and the checkered panels down where the hand actually touches them. It's also easier to work on than up on the 'neck'.

I gotta go now- if anyone cares to know more about the actual checkering layout, engraving, & filing, ask and I'll try to post more later.
    Last edited by mitch; 12-13-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A very informative thread, thank you all!

Rod

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
    Post Thanks / Like

I just scroll them and leave the checkering to the ACGG guys.
    TOS
    (The Other Sam)

FEGA LIFE
    ACGG LIFE
    Guns, Guitars and Old Cars
    A.I.E.

Cravingravin=a chronic malady that afflicts some of the world's nicest people...TOS

8. Likes jtham liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing work! Thanks
    Vlad "LVVP", Canada, ON, Maple

Post Thanks / Like

Those are so beautiful. I could see that being used in jewelry.

Post Thanks / Like

I just found this thread and was blown away by the artwork. Tried to find the Florian Güllert pix, but it went 404 on me. Would love to see that work if anyone has copies of those ... These bolt checkering examples are way, way beyond anything I would have thought of. Wow! Thanks for sharing them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast