Has anyone used this rare strange tool??

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

Was doing a little crusing on ebay and came up with this "engraving tool".

It is a swiss made tool by Haag-Streit (well known in machining for high precision grinders and jigs.).

I thought I would ask the experts, or at least thoes of you that have been engraving for years, if they ever used such a tool?

Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390128257666&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I wonder do you push it? Pull it?

Strange to me. What do you think??

AirAmp

Last edited:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll take a stab at this

Not sure, but it looks like something used in the graphic arts/cartgraphy to cut peelcoat for making maps.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's a Link Showing a Similar Tool for Scribing Maps

PDF] When Maps Were Scribed: USGS Geologic Map Production in the 1970'sFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
A green plastic template (also used for topographic maps) became a critical tool for scribing consistent and uniform sym- bols on a geologic map. ...
pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1385/pdf/stettner.pdf
by WR Stettner

http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1385/pdf/stettner.pdf

Last edited:

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
it s an engraving ring...
a graver is fixed into the ring ( ring rolls on 4 balls, bare ring,bearring??)
and then is rolled over plate which have to be engraved..
the loupe is for precision view of the lines which have to be removed.. pressure can be controlled by pressing ring deeper
used for plates that has to be printed , as well taking off masking stuff before etching.. know it s been used for (army) maps..
here s some more pics, hope they explain a little better http://cgi.ebay.ch/GRAVIERRING-5055...emQQptZModellbauwerkzeuge?hash=item3a558613d8

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Could it be some kind of stamping or stippling device:

The tripod legs allow light to get to the surface.

The magnifier can be adjusted to look from an angle at a certain area of the surface to see the business end of small punches or stamps that are introduced into a guiding hole so they come down to the plate surface at 90 degrees.

You observe through the magnifier to place the stamp/stippler in position by moving the whole device, then tap with a small hammer to indent the mark onto the surface.

Could those small tools be various punches that all can fit a hole or bush in the devise so they can be punched at a true 90 degrees to the surface.

If anyone has used number ot letter stamps to mark steel, you would appreciate a device that may be such a thing??

Rod

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would guess that it's a magnifier used to check and count #s of wires in wire weaving.
Long time ago I knew a union agent who represented wire weavers who wove very fine wires used by special industries to filter things.
I'd bet you could find something similar at MSN suppliers.
Kevin P.