Question: New Nickel in the works.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Right now the background is polished and shows every rise and hollow. I am thinking some sort of dulling or satin finish would cover this or at least make it not show up as much. I'm not sure how to do this without messing up the lettering and rest of the nickel.

Any suggestions?

Jim

12-04-2009 02;56;27PM.JPG

12-05-2009 03;30;26PM.JPG

12-05-2009 11;02;36PM.JPG

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Good morning CJ

I'm surprised, my hand and arm aren't stiff. Finger tips a little sore. So far its around 4 hrs on this. Maybe the next one will go faster.

Any ideas on how to dull the surface?

Jim

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim

Hit the hobby store and get one of the little sandblasting kits for glass etching. It comes with / uses a little can of compressed gas as your air source, a plastic 'blaster' that snaps on to the can and screws on to the top of the jar of grit. It also comes with a stencil or two - apparently you can also etch glass with this. ;)

I also bought their $20 inflatable 'booth' to work in. Take off all of your jewelry, set the nickel and the blaster inside, reach in through the holes and give your nickel a couple of short shots. You just want to dull it down, not remove details.

This is all stuff I learned from the forums.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim
You can use scotch magic tape to mask off the parts you dont want to blast. Also glass beads (harbor freight) Al oxide work well on coins. Keep cutting

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
You could also dull it using pc board etchant from Radio shack. Its orange in color and will stain your hands if you dont wear rubber gloves. I use q-tips and rub a little on the coin, then immediately dunk in water and rub. If you leave it on too long it will bring the polished off coin details back. The chemicl name is ferric chloride.
Try it on another coin first so as not to ruin your hard work.
If you have the blaster....I have used talc, baby powder, baking soda, just wear a mask. I have a big sandblast cabinet with a very large dust filter system. I dont use scotch tape, too much trouble just use clear nail polish to mask off, blast.... then use acetone to remove the polish left.
Good luck,
Keith

Last edited:

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Jim
I wouldnt use just a vac as the sand gets ALL OVER!!!!! you need something better to contain the mess. If you do it in the house it will be all over. Steve has the small inflatable cabinet that works great.
Good Luck,
Keith

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey, there jim. you better learn how to make eentsy teentsy tools. i'm thinkin you're gong to be needing them.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
!

Jim, Cool sign work.
My first blast cabinet was a sheet of plexiglass and an old coleman cooler.
I cut one hand opening in the side and used a paasche air eraser to do the etching.
Worked good til the plexiglass got badly scratched. Harbor freight has a small bead blast cabinet if theres one by you.
Keep going

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i once took the innards out of a large microwave oven obtained at the junk yard. it had a door seal. cut holes where needed for shop vac, etc for dust evac.. worked fine. cut a hole in the top for glass panel to admit light. sealed that with weather stripping. when glass gets cloudy, just replace with junk glass. it's easy to cut. junkyards glad to give it away.

Sponsors