Critique Request Leaf Script -- Second attempt

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi everyone,

This is my second attempt at Leaf Script and I would appreciate your comments. It is engraved on a card holder made of, I think, 300 Stainless. This was a little tough and strange to engrave. I could not engrave it successfully with C-MAX (broke points immediately) but I did OK with GRS GlenSteel gravers.
For what is worth, I am happy with the basic design, I think that the shading has some to be desired, and the cross hatching is to deep (although the cross hatching looks much worse in the photo than in real life).
Thanks for any help.

Les Schowe

Attachments

• gM_2.jpg
    gM_2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 339

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The execution is very nice,The M looks a little squished maybe, but overall it's nice, technique looks clean to me, and only your second attempt? very good.

Last edited:

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice, there are a few area's that need more shading, the middle stem of the M in the middle, also the left top wide part of the G. Try and give more curl to your leaf tips as well. I think your well on your way...:thumbs up:

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone for the comments and kind words, I really appreciate it.

Barry: I had not noticed that before but I think you are correct about the M. The M was also hard to add the Leaf Script.

Kevin: I draw all of the letters myself. I have looked all over and can not find any ready made letters ready to add Leaf Script. What I do however, is to start with one of the scripts which is standard on my PC called "French Script". This is as close as I have come to finding a font for Leaf Script. It is, what I call, a "fat" script and is about 30% of where I want to be. I then print out a very large (maybe 6X6 inch) monogram then use tracing paper to draw what I want. The basic "French Script" print helps me to keep everything in perspective. I will tell you that I probably spend twice as much time drawing the monogram than I do cutting it. Hopefully, if I keep doing these monograms I can learn to draw them faster. Hope that helps.

Jetta: You are absolutely correct and this is where I need to work. Getting the shading correct has been difficult for me.

Les Schowe

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Check out J M Bergling "Art Monograms & Lettering" for leaf script. It has several pages of examples.
Kevin P.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey: i'm hard of hearing, but it sure as heck sounds good to me ! looks very nice.

Latest posts

Sponsors