Question: backgrounds

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sources for Beading tools

Rio Grande, a jewelry tools supplier, sells beading tool sets.
The largest, a set of 100 with a block is listed at $137; a small set of 24 @ $24. You can also buy individual pieces or just the block. All Swiss made.
Individual beading tools start with a #5 @ .05 mm goes up at .05 mm increments to #22 @ 1.35 mm.
The block is used to shape and sharpen the tools it's made of hardened tool steel. Jewelers use these to bead set stones.
Kevin P.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kevin
Those beading tools are more for jewelry and softer metals rather than steel. Ngraver has the best steel ones going.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have also tried the beading block and heat treating the punches and I spent more time making "so so" punches and wasting time so I just buy mine now

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris that look you describe is like the texture of Japanese sword guards, very cool. I noticed it a long time ago and wondered how much time was spent to accomplish that look.
I seem to remember it was referred to as 'fish roe'.
There's a cool method to make your own punch. You make something similar to a beading punch but with three depressions. After the first whack you lock onto one bead to orient the next set and so on.
I collect old sales catalogs of Japanese work. Some have descriptions of technique.
Kevin P.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Those beading tools are more for jewelry and softer metals rather than steel. Ngraver has the best steel ones going."
______________Have you used these beading tools Marty?
Kevin P.

Sponsors