Cool Coin Vise on Ebay

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

I just picked one of these up and got it in. It holds 1,5,10,25 and maybe a 50 cent coin. (didn't try the 50). Best $15.00 I spent in awhile..

These were made by C&E Marshall Co. for holding watch movements. No longer made..

listed as a 4 in 1 watch movement holder/vise.

This one is a bit rough (black paint is off it) but they do show up on ebay now and again in better shape.

Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintge-4-Sided-...I%2BIA%2BUA%2BFICS%2BUFI%2BDDSIC&otn=10&ps=63

They have 4 flat sides and fit in the vise great.

Here is a better one that ended a few days ago so you know what they should look like...

Four in One Adjustable Movement Holder - C&E Marshall

http://cgi.ebay.com/Four-in-One-Adj...ewItemQQptZPocket_Watches?hash=item1c0df568b6

Another great tool for the bench...:big grin:

Does anyone use these??

AirAmp

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have several but never use them for coins as they don't hold nearly as tight as the ones I make for that purpose. I use these only for holding watch movements.

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Tim make some coin holders for me and they do everything I want them to do, I,m not sure if Tim is still making them, if he is I highly recommend them , he is perfectionist.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Tim,

Would love to see a photo of your coin vise.

Are you making them??

AirAmp

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll have to dig around for a photo, I haven't made one on a good while. My original post wasn't meant as an advertisement by the way, I just know how those movement holders grip and the screw can't clamp as hard as you might need it to.

If that works for you, by all means use it till it wears out, there's a bunch of ways to skin a cat you know...

For a description: mine are round with a recess that accepts the coin and lets it sit proud of the holder about a 32nd of an inch and a shelf under the coin that only contacts the rim and doesn't scar the buffalo horn or whatever is on the obverse of your coin.

It has a hole drilled in the center and a slot like a lathe collet. The outside is turned down so that when you drop it into the vice, it rests on the shoulder and when you tighten the ball vise it naturally clamps the holder and centers it. Most were made from 6061 T6 aluminum and a few from brass.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Tim,

Very nice coin vises.

It looks like there is a hole in the bottom of them? Why is that?

Are you still making them?

Thanks for finding pictures, they do look great.

AirAmp

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I make them when someone asks for one.

That hole across the shank is basically a stop drill sort of thing in that it keeps the split from growing and it helps the spring action of this little coin collet. Aircraft often develop cracks in the skin or engine baffling or exhaust stacks. It isn't always feasable or necessary to replace the skin or make a patch so you drill a hole with a #40 bit right where that crack ends and this "stop drill" will keep the crack from propagating further. That's the idea behind that hole you asked about.

In my toolbox there are coins that are like new and I make these holders to fit them exactly, that way if someone cuts a coin that has some wear on its edge then it will still fit good. When you take this out of your vise you simply dump the coin into your hand, there is no need to pry the coin out of the holder.

Last edited:

sanch

Elite Cafe Member

Latest posts

Sponsors