Art Fair Market

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, I didn’t sell the ERs but I generated some interest in hand engraving.

I just returned from an ‘art fair’ in MD, in a bedroom community just north of DC
Sales were OK; but about one third off compared to shows before the economic crisis. To give you the nitty gritty: I sold three rings out of my display; one pair of cuff links and just today, one day after my return, I got a phone order for another ring.
I make everything on spec with one exception: if a current customer asks I will do a custom order as with the gentleman who called today.

The number of exhibiters is probably off by half. Two weeks before this show I did a show in Santa Monica, CA. A much smaller show but my sales were similar.
My impression is that high end still sells; just not quite as many as I would like. Lower end work, (prices that is) is a more difficult sell. People who are wage earners are still in a difficult situation.
The number of people who attended surprised me; it was a good crowd except for Sunday. It’s $8 to get in the gate.

As for the engraving part: I love engraving and I know my work needs improvement. But I have sold a couple of pieces in spite of whatever.
I put a couple of practice plates that I like in my display and when someone notices them I give a little presentation. Very few know what ‘hand engraved’ means. I started my career this way. I was using stones that people had not seen before; but I explained what I was doing, and over time I developed a market. I personally have not seen ‘hand engraved’ jewelry, other than some on this forum, in the market place. So, I’m considering this an opportunity.

I don’t have a store and I don’t teach. Going on the road involves some heavy lifting; but I consider myself very fortunate to be doing work I love to do to earn my living.
Kevin P.

Last edited:

Sponsors