New iGraver tutorial - Running wheat border

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud could you tell me how you did lay-out of the running wheat on your ring? I could do it by hand but I'm hoping that if I have it in Photoshop (in a straight line) there is a way to form it into a oval and then transfer.
Kevin P.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud could you tell me how you did lay-out of the running wheat on your ring? I could do it by hand but I'm hoping that if I have it in Photoshop (in a straight line) there is a way to form it into a oval and then transfer.
Kevin P.

Kevin, I did it by hand using a compass, first to draw the two circles for the border, than to divide the circle in equal parts with a fine line.
It is a compass that is used for metal work, so there is no pencil only two sharp needles.
That was all I needed, the rest of the leaves I just cut it without pencil lines as it is very small and I wanted to draw it directly with the graver, to see if I was able to do it.

Before I also have tried to make a pattern to transfer, but as you see it is not a straight border but a circle, it didn’t work so well.

arnaud

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kevin, I did it by hand using a compass, first to draw the two circles for the border, than to divide the circle in equal parts with a fine line.
It is a compass that is used for metal work, so there is no pencil only two sharp needles.

arnaud

Those are also known as "dividers". Starrett makes VERY fine ones as does Brown & Sharp.

Very handy for laying out lines.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to suggest a tool that I brought to last years engrave-in called a proportional divider. Big hit in the tool area there- Mine is made by K & E. one tool that every engraver needs for layout work. Saves a lot of time-Fred

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Arnaud. I already laid out the two ovals so I guess I'll just do the divisions by hand. Probably the simpler way.
Kevin P.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred, Any source for that proportional divider? And cost?
I didn't know K & E was still around. I think I still have one of their slide rules somewhere.
Kevin P.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Kevin, i didn't know the existing of such a tool.
I use the standard devider normaly used by stonesetters.
This one gives you the oppertunity to increase or decrease your scale??
Willem

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
not only change scale but divide a line or circle into equally sized segments-set dial to ratio 2:1 measure with one side of divide other end either twice as big or half as big-set to 5:1 other end will be 5 time larger or divide a line into 5 equal parts great tool

when thinking about layout, drafting techniques are very useful as are graphic arts and printing techniques- Fred

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have a set of proportional dividers that I bought on eBay a few months ago. Beautiful cased set for around $80 as I recall. I've not used them for engraving, but for drawing they can be quite handy.

It would be great to see a tutorial on how to use them for engraving applications.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred do you know if they (proportional dividers) are available in metric?
I'm so used to using mm in jewelry and lapidary that I find the english system awkward, even though I use it in every other application.
Kevin P.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Sam, I just previewed your new DVD. It arrived while I was on the road.
The graphics are really good and your cautions about certain procedures are very helpful for a novice like me.
It’s so good that I want to drop everything and try out some of procedures; but being a professional I’m going to first finish the work my customers paid me to do.
Which reminds me, the one suggestion I would like to make would be for you to tell how many hours you spend on each of these. For example if you did a double running leaf border on an entire ring how long did you spend to accomplish the job..

I want to do this on a ring and I think I’ll be able to with help from your new DVD. My point here is that I’m a jeweler and a beginning engraver. I don’t want to charge my customer by the hours it took me. I want to do it right which means I’ll spend more hours on the same task than you would.
I want to charge by the number of hours it takes a professional like yourself. I hope that I’ll get up to speed at some point; but I don’t want to charge for practice. I know there are variables according to location etc.; but the number of hours gives me a realistic benchmark. The number of dollars is not relevant but the number of hours is.
Another thing, your sculpting section solved a major problem for me. I’ve had a design for a broach sketched out for some time wondering how I would accomplish the work. I had in mind traditional chasing and repousse.
After watching the DVD I see that I can do it using gravers and those punches you made up. So much simpler!
Of course there’s many a slip between lip and . . . ; but I’m jazzed to give it a go. I’m going to do it in copper before I do it in 22K. It’s an oval shape with a center stone of amethyst that I cut from beautiful rough, and a double line border just right for a running leaf.
Talk about letting your mouth overload your (ex-service men can fill in here).
Kevin P.