New iGraver tutorial - Running wheat border

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
One we never seem to tire of, the running wheat border is a true classic gun engraver's border that can be used on many items besides guns (see Fred Carter's recent thread for an excellent example of running wheat). It also looks great in raised or flush gold. If you're new to this border, this tutorial will help you get up to speed quickly. / ~Sam

Running wheat border tutorial

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 618

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam another fine tutorial. What's your thoughts on tipping the graver when cutting the leafs instead of going back and cutting the vien segments. Just picking your brain a bit.
I think Igraver getting to be the best thing since ah? the power hone. I was going to say sliced bread but I don't like sliced bread:)
Mike

Sam

Staff member
Mike: I'm not sure I understand your question. I definitely roll the graver when cutting the leaf/boat shapes, but there's no rolling of the graver on any other cuts. / ~Sam

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam: I mean the nick cuts and the leaf cut all in one cut. Like roll the graver to the left or right to make the nick cuts. I hope I said that right. No biggy.
Thanks
Mike

Sam

Staff member
Oh, I see what you mean. Well, in jewelry engraving you'll often see leaf borders which are quickly cut with one graver pass that have a nick-like appearance on the edge of the leaf. For the running wheat, I want the nicks to be sharp and triangular which necessitates seperate cuts for each one. Why not give your idea a try and see how it works? / ~Sam

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Sam.
Another great tutorial, clean and clear. Thank you.
The only thing that I found a little different to help beginners, was in the layout lines.
I had them use three layout lines evenly spaced apart.
Until they developed an "eye" it helped them to keep the "boat" points centered on the middle line.
Just thought that this might be some additional help to folks starting out with this beautiful border.
Hope you don't mind my butting in, you do a fantastic job of teaching.
John.

Sam

Staff member
Hi John. I don't consider anyone's suggestions butting in! Yes, three layout lines does make sense, especially for people learning to cut the running wheat border. Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll remember to mention it to future students. Cheers! / Sam

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
Using the computer

It can be very time consuming drawing all these lines and making sure the proportions are correct. Being an IE (industrial engineer) I make every attempt to make the layout process as efficient as possible (as that is my day job). In IE terms, get rid of the "NON VALUE ADDED TIME". I will post a thread on this concept later. I have drawn most of my boarders on paper, layout sheets, visio, autocad, etc. If it's hand drawn I scan it into the computer. I save the scan in Adobe photo shop or most any other software and from there I can reduce or enlarge as required. This can be done either with the ratio locked or unlocked. With the ratio locked you can enlarge and reduce and the proportions will stay the same throughout. If not you can narrow and stretch the item however you want. You can also copy and past one image onto the other and continue a running border if it needs to be that long. When doing a long straight border this is a BIG time saver. Since it is saved in my computer, it takes me about 2 minutes to resize and print the image. If you use the transfermagic method the lines are small and crisp.

Sam

Staff member
Yves: Thanks for the good info on using the computer to expedite certain engraving layout tasks. I'll be looking forward to your thread on Non Value Added Time. That sounds very interesting.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like this tutorial. All of your tutorials are easy for me to follow. They are a great resource for us beginners. Thanks for putting them together and sharing them Sam.

Dwayne

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Sam, I already new this one, but as you say it is a new one on igraver, I probably saw it some place else.
I have tried it on a side border of a Titanium ring, now after seeing your tutorial I think it needs more shading

arnaud

Attachments

• DSCN5626 copy.jpg
    DSCN5626 copy.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 203

Sam

Staff member
Looks great, Arnaud! Very nicely done.

This is an old thread from 3 years ago, so it's not so new any more!

Cheers / ~Sam

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is an old thread from 3 years ago, so it's not so new any more!

Cheers / ~Sam

This is a bit confusing Sam, what about the titel of the topic?? how do I have to intrepretate that??
I just was thinking I saw the border before, long time ago on your site, wat's the new thing.
Willem

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yves, maybe you could answer this.
If I wanted to do this border as an oval, is there some way to form it on the computer as an oval from a straight layout to then transfer? I don't know if I explained this very well.
Kevin P.

Sam

Staff member
This is a bit confusing Sam, what about the titel of the topic?? how do I have to intrepretate that??
I just was thinking I saw the border before, long time ago on your site, wat's the new thing.
Willem

Willem: Yes, it's confusing, but if you look at the date of the first post in the thread you'll see that it's about 3 years old. Not that it makes any difference, but it's not 'new' in that I just posted it. It's been there for quite awhile. When someone posts a comment at the end of an old thread it advances from the depths of cyberspace and lands at the top of the forum. That's certainly not a bad thing since many of our newer members might not have seen the original thread, but the tutorial itself there on iGraver.com and is pretty to find. :)

Cheers / ~Sam

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
About the date,I should have noticed this Sam and I know how it works with new posts:beat up:
Thanks for reminding me.
Willem