meanwhile......back at the ranch rodeo

diane

Earlier this month I was at the Working Cowboys Ranch Rodeo Finals in Amarillo, Texas. Great show. I cut these two plates there using a C-Max square sharpened as a flat. I was able to cut both plates with out having to resharpen or repolish once! Surprised even me. In fact, I have been using it on a couple of projects since I have been home and just broke it today. I love these gravers.

Diane

Attachments

• image0001.jpg
    image0001.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 257
  • image0002.jpg
    image0002.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 265
  • DianeScalese1Crop.jpg
    DianeScalese1Crop.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 72
  • DianeScalese2Crop.jpg
    DianeScalese2Crop.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 70

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Superlative cutting by one of my favorite engravers! Beautifully done, Diane.

Ain's C-Max incredible stuff?!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Diane, very nicely cut, and yes I like the C-Max as well, ordered a few more last week. They can be very high polished, so I suppose perfect for brightcut.

arnaud

jack

I just love your work. Have you got a chance to use Argentium sterling silver yet? Jack

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Diane, the cutting looks great.
Could you give some detail about how you shaped the C-Max such as face angle, width, heel, no heel, radius, etc.?
Thanks
Kevin P.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful work Diane. I sure enjoyed getting to visit with you and Bob while we were at Amarillo.

Stewart

Last edited:

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Diane,
Beautiful work, as usual - thanks for sharing. I wish that we could have gotten down there to watch you engrave.

I have been using GRS C-Max for my Western Bright Cut cutting for some time now and have been VERY pleased with the performance. I have not been as pleased when using the C-MAX with the square (single point) gravers. I have been cutting some 300 stainless Business Card Holders and the tips seem to break quite easy which have caused some disastrous results. For me anyway, GRS Glensteel seems to work better for square gravers.

Anyway, great work!

Les Schowe

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful work Diane.
That c-max is good stuff. I use a flat for precious metals and I rarely sharpen it.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Diane, your art is an inspiration to get me to cut western...
Hope to seeya at Reno and the Blade...
Jerry

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Dear Diane,
Those are so beautiful, as your work always is.
Your "sculptured" bright cut has such a traditional, almost Victorian quality.
What a valuable addition to your amazing talent.
Best always.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Really nice Diane! I hope you are going to teach us all how to do that in Reno during the seminars!!

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Diane,

It does look odd to see your name with "Junior member" underneath! But that is only to do with number of posts, 'cause you ain't no junior to the engraving world!

Nice to see these plates.

I have been practicing, and trying a few ideas, since attending your great class in Emporia.

Question: It would be nice if we could buy thicker tools, the available size of the C Max graver is a rather thin square. Since you are adept at brazing sawn-off liners onto steel shanks, have you experimented with brazing a short length of C-Max cross-wise onto the nose of a shank so that it could then be sharpened into a wider flat ...say as wide as a 45 flat?

As I understand, C max come as a round and is ground square by GRS.

Now that I have written all that down, I will just go and do that myself, and let you know if I can produce a wider C Max flat.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Rod

diane

I do agree, Sam, that these gravers are wonderful stuff. They seem to have a smoother feel in the metal - if that makes sense. And, as I have not been able to convince Bob of the benefits of sharpening my gravers for me, C-Max may be the next best thing.

Jack - I have not yet tried argentium. I have enough for a bracelet sitting here, but have not gotten around to it. Not sure I want to mess with any fabrication, but need to get a feel of how it engraves.

Kevin P - I use a 45 degree face and 20 degree heel with a radius. High polish, of course.

Les - Do you suppose you are getting too much vibration on those card holders? It can be a tool killer if you do.

Rex - Seminar? What seminar? (just kidding)

Rod - I have not tried soldering this C-Max. I sharpened a round as mentioned, and it is pretty close to the 45. Let me know what you think. How many posts do I need to graduate? I'm trying to figure out how to add the nifty FEGA box at the bottom of my post.

I also just checked the pictures that I posted, and you all are very kind to not give me the dickens for such lousy shots. I tried some new ones and see if they look better.

Diane

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Diane,

Its good to here from you, beautiful work as always. My neighbor and his wife ran into you at the grs table at the rodeo. It sounded like your booth was drawing a big crowd and they enjoyed watching you work.

Ken

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Diane, thanks for posting these. I love that style, and your work has sure inspired me to work on it some more. It was good talking to you, and I hope you don't forget how to post your work. Take care and happy Thanksgiving, Seth

Latest posts

Sponsors