work in progress

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
Fine, VERY fine work indeed, Lee!! Awesome, it has the looks of really sharp pen & black ink drawing on paper, amazing ! Kind regards, Paulie.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, I think the sheep saw snow and is hibernating. Brass is a different animal than steel. The curl one normally sees with steel, breaks or crumbles oftentimes in brass. Fortunately the edges of the cut are reasonably clean. I employed some techniques with this piece that I would not typically be able to use on steel. I used a sharp needle point to "scribble or doodle" some of the background and especially some trees. I think it is likely that this will be at Reno. With luck it will be on my table or Bruce Farman's. As always one's ego enjoys the kind comments. It seems all of us have too many days that are all fetch and no pat on the head.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A comment or two regarding the design. The stylized eagle, beaded background, and border are very similar to ones from the period. Those elements help give it a feeling of tradition and the scroll and "dolphin's headish, lookalike, psuedo..........well who knows but if it seems to work a little then I am grateful.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee,

This piece is so wonderful to admire, and I second all of the posted compliments! It will be great to see it in Reno. The engraving has a quiet sense of restraint, yet a superb design and execution, and you must have been firing on all cylinders to bring off this splendid result.

Regarding working with brass, is this cast or rolled brass? We metal turners know that when preparing our cutting tools, "zero rake" is preferable for brass turning, in comparison to cutting steel, where the tool likes a positive rake of about 15 degrees. What do I mean by rake? That is the angle of the top face of a turning tool, the face over which the chip flows as it leaves the workpiece. Thinking of engraving as being start/stop metal turning, what we call the front-face is what the turner calls the rake angle. In that context, if a 45 degree front face is common for engraving steel, might a steeper front-face cut brass better, say 55 degrees ?

best

Rod

Last edited:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I must add that I took some significant artistic liberties with regards to the buildings and other elements and acknowledge that they are not perfect renderings but are "based" on historical buildings, themes,etc. This is partly because of the size constraints and the desire for it to be seen with something other than a 10x loupe. I have simplified and altered while still trying to keep the feel of the period and a North/ South theme. I hope to have depicted both with respect and honor

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod, interesting comment. If I had been smart I would have contacted you for input prior to scratching. I used a 110 with a 50 face and 20 heel...................now you have me thinking. I don't know whether it was rolled or cast.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I normally cut with about 65 degrees at the face and this works well in brass. It seems brass also has a tendency to wear a point to dullness instead of breaking a point. Almost like an abrasive effect.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Uberti frames are cast however I am not sure that they are actually brass. I do know that the originals were made of "gunmetal" which while looking like brass were more like bronze in metalurgical composition. The Uberti's I've done cut pretty well in spite of being cast.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
What a beautiful design, Lee! Another one of those that requires careful study to appreciate all of the nuances of the engraving. I love it. :beerchug:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger,

In Scotland "Gunmetal" was the name we gave to a sort of cast bronze suitable for bearings, such as journal bearings on railway rolling stock, a better bearing metal than brass, for sure. Same in the US?

Rod

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger,

In Scotland "Gunmetal" was the name we gave to a sort of cast bronze suitable for bearings, such as journal bearings on railway rolling stock, a better bearing metal than brass, for sure. Same in the US?

Rod

Gunmetal, also known as red brass in the United States, is a type of bronze – an alloy of copper, tin, and zinc. Originally gunmetal was used chiefly for making cannon. Gunmetal is resistant to corrosion from steam and salt water, and is thus suitable for valves, pump parts and steam fittings like the rolling stock you mentioned. I have heard that Victoria Crosses (the UK's highest medal for valor) were made from the gunmetal of cannon from the seige of Sevastopol.

Latest posts

Sponsors