liquid paper trick

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
I'll try to explain, when your soldering something down with silver solder you can paint any area you DO NOT want solder to go with the liquid paper. Liquid paper can with stand the heat. after soldering it will come off in the pickle pot or acid. (mostly) and residue that is left can be cleaned off with acetone. My advice to Bradstreet was (if he engraved before soldering his scroll down) was to paint the engraved side with liquid paper so there was no danger of solder running in to his cuts. It very usefull in making buckles and conchos and such. Also it works well as a flow stop, for example if you soldered to the top of an item, then needed to turn it over and solder to the back as well you could "paint the top" and while you were soldering to the back the solder on the top would not flow. Also a liquid paper pen is excellent for drawing guide lines on the back of a buckle to help you center the hook and swinger.

canadian

Elite Cafe Member
Where do you buy the stuff?

I normally use yellow ochre to the same effect. Just mix some powder with a bit of water to get a paste and paint the area you don't want soldered. It has been use for that for several thousands of years.

Thanks,

Boris

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I may, use the water soluble formula; the other emits toxic fumes when heated.
Staples, Office Depot may have it; but you'll have to dig around.
Kevin P.

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Well, I'll add that plain old milk of magnesia will do the same.
If you run out of one fix, there are others to use without going to the store:big grin:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just in the nick of time.....I just posted to Bailey Bradshaw's posting about soldering ribs to a pair of gunbarrels. I just finished soldering a drip bar to an English rifle barrel and outlined it with a graphite pencil....which didn't work all that great, but is easy to scrape off after. I'll be soldering the under-rib on later today after getting the mating surfaces polished up.

Dave

Nathan Ott

Liquid paper, or like I always called it White-out. Shouldn't be hard to find. I get mine at the grocery store. Works great and is easier to apply (not to mention safer, if its the water sol.) than yellow ochre.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used to work F-4G Wild Weasel fighters when I was in the service and when we installed those big J-79 afterburning engines we coated the "coke bottle" engine mounts with Milk of Magnesia as a heat proof lubricant and it kept the mount from sticking so it wouild come right out next engine change.

Interesting what uses common items have other than their designed purpose. My oldest son wrote all over these custom cabinets in a house we were renting when he was in pre-school with a RED sharpie, one of those wide chisel pointed ones!

I tried every deadly chemical I had around, MEK, MPK, acetone, alcohol to no avail. The Good Lord was looking out for me or my sons behind when the next day I saw an article about that sort of thing and did what it said.

I got the Lysol spray from under the sink, sprayed it and that marker ran off like water color with no effort at all and no harm to the finish. Also no harm to my sons tail feathers...

OK, back to the topic.

Wilson Capron

And see there, I had just been careful for the last however many years. I'll give one of these a try next time. Thanks to everyone for the tips.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
man ! all those years of horrible soldering jobs. liquid paper. i knew it as white out. i owe you all a shot & a beer ! speakin of the milk of mag- when i was a pup, and bein bad, my granny would threaten me with a spoonfull of that ghastly stuff.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Liquid Paper or Yellow Ochre Work Well but ....

It's still a good idea to use hard, medium, and low melting solders on the same piece when reheating to minimize the flow of old solder joints. You would start with the high temperature solders first finishing with the lower melting solders.

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
A little off subject I know.......
But if you ever have to remove Magic marker or or that type of permanent ink just go over it with a dry erase (white board) pen. Removes it right away.
I picked up the wrong pen in one of my classes and drew all over the white board.
Thought I would wind up buying the school a new board until a lady student came to my rescue. Her daughter was a first grade teacher and said the kids often wrote on everthing with Sharpies including themselves and she found the answer to painlessly remove it.

Latest posts

Sponsors