Help, please: Printer ink that will transfer

KinG-JaKe

Just starting out engraving, need to know of a cheap printer, that the ink will transfer on.

I've tried from two different printers I have, and they both didn't work. Then I tried with a leftover pattern from C.J. Allan's class and it worked out fine. I was wondering if it is a certain type of ink, or the way the ink is applied that enables it to transfer. In other words, could I simply get an ink cartridge for a printer I already have?

If I have to get a new printer, I'll probably go with one that has a scanner/copier on top, for less hassle when I copy or scan things.

The printer's I've tried it on are: HP Photosmart 2610, and a HP Deskjet D1341.

Any advice you can give is well appreciated! thank, Jake

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Jake. Welcome to the Cafe. The search link above will direct you to dozens of posts regarding transfer and printer information. Also check out the Tips Archive.

Cheers / ~Sam

Tom White

Jake,

There are 3 items that must be correct for and inkjet transparency transfer to work.

1. I recommend a printer with a pigment based ink NOT dye based. And you must be able to set the printer to print using black ink only.

2.A surface bonding agent I use Transfer Magic ,because I seem to have a lot of it around, but some home brewed solutions will do the job.

3. A transparency film that will allow the ink to release to the surface with the bonding agent there are many that will not work.

As Sam said if you search the forum this is a subject that has been covered very well.

Tom White

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Jake........

I think you are trying to transfer with a couple "INKjet" printers.....
Ya gotta use a "LASERjet" to use acetone, like the ones we did in class.........
I have a HP 1020 laserjet..and it's what those patterns we used were made on....

Great having you in my class.....You guys blew me away with the work you were doing by the end of the week.. :) :)

Also heard you and two others ordered one of Ellis Sawyers new "Dovetail" vices......KOOL...
I finally got to use mine after youse guys let me have it back....hahahah
Man...This new vice is the absolute "BEST" investment i've made in a lot of years.......I'm actually back tryin to get used to my scope..after 30 years......Thanks Ellis :)

Anywayzz, Jake....Give me a holler if I can help ya in any way....Like I told ya...My classes don't stop after class on Friday.....yer stuck with me fer life, if ya need me. :)

Last edited:

KinG-JaKe

Thank you, to everyone that replied. It's a real help, now I've just got to go get one.
Edit: This is more of a personal not, but a Brother DCP-7040 laserjet won't work either.

Last edited: