Can you identify this?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I received this photo in an email. It was found in a field in NC. Any idea what it is? / ~Sam

Attachments

• mystery_piece.jpg
    mystery_piece.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 271

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to see a side profile, it looks like some kind of buckle or harness connector. But it looks like the strap would cover the monogram, which does'nt make sense. What is on the other side June??? a date maybe?

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Need to see more of it, but from what is seen in the photo it could possibly be a case or slide to cover a tool. What comes to mind is a machinest scale holder. Normally they have some sort of a clip and the scale is slide inside to protect it. Old version of the modern day tape measure. Some that I have seen old machinest have are quite well made and well worn. Copper or tin the metal of choice in the ones I have seen but the better the choice of metel at work the better the tool holder. Just a thought !

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam,
It looks like a belt ornament. The type a civil war solder would wear. more or less like a dog tag for a modern solder. Most likely given later in the war when family found out how hard it is to identify loved one who has been dead a while.

I think the family would have it made, not the government. Family would actually go looking
for fallen sons, and take them home for burial.

Jim

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
From the email:

"The other side has a clear date "June 14th 1888". Its about the size of a US quarter when closed."

So it opens and closes. The man that found it intends to research families in the area and try to reunite it with descendants based on the initials that are engraved.

It looks like it's been hit by a plow or two over the years. / ~Sam

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it's an ipswitch that fits on the frammelschtamme. part of the uniform.

Latest posts

Sponsors