Sroll Drawing

Bradstreet

Hey guys as you can see i'm not very good at this so i would like your help.
This is a sroll drawing that i would like to cut and mount on some spurs i'm working on. Any help i would appreciate it. Thanks Shawn

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 267

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn, a quick sketch for you.
Something like this with an end and beginning, simple negative space to pierce and cut out, and western looking.
Tin the back of the sheet before you cut it out of course.

hmw

Shawn, those are looking better. The way I look at those designs, try and run a leaf off the last scroll at the front, and have it follow the contour of the band, and run it up towards the front hanger hole. I think it would balance out a little more. I know what you are up aganist......drawing is not my strong point. I have stock in most paper mills due to the paper I use up drawing!

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think you are missing Barry's advice. Mostly trying to keep a simple "negative space" so that you can easily cut it with a jewelers saw. The pointy leaves and small interior spaces are gonna cause you grief.

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
food for thought

heres a simple scroll I put on some spurs a few days ago, might be food for thought. Just remember the first scroll closes to the shank you'll probly have to engrave backwards. If your gonna engrave first then solder I'd use the liquid paper trick to keep solder out of the engraving. (ignore the poor shading sketch):beat up:

Attachments

• sroll2.jpg
    sroll2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 135

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott's comment is what i was thinking, simplify, so it works.
That is my watchword these days, simplify.
Now that I look at mine, the second leaf stem on the second scroll is too fat. . . .
If you cut the main outline with a graver first, after tinning the back, your saw will follow the cuts.
I wouldnt shade anything till its soldered ,pickled, polished and borders if any, wriggled.
Of course I have not cut any western for money in at least 15 years, so I am a little old fashioned.
Griff's drawing is very nice, it is a complicated design, and hard to saw for a novice, however it would look really good if you are up to it.

Last edited:

Bradstreet

Guys thanks for all of your help. I'm not sure what i'm going to do. These spurs that this scroll is going on are for the bit and spur conference coming up. This a picture of the heel bands (inside) before they are bent.

Thanks again Shawn Bradstreet

P.S. Barry out of all the scrolls that i have posted which one do you like best?

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 76

Sponsors