GRS system 3

Bill DeShivs

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I have been playing with engraving for many years.
I just got a GRS System 3 for almost nothing, and I already had a compressor.
Any System 3 users here, and if so, do you have any tips on it's use?
Thanks,
Bill DeShivs

System 3 notes

I took my system 3 engraver to the class I attended 08/2009 at Montgomery Community College in Troy NC

My instructor spent a few minutes with me setting the tool up. His comment to me was that the start of impact was varied. To achive the best results we installed the smallest spring and further limited the air pressure to 50 PSI.

The way I use the tool is to, hold the tool almost straight up until I feel the impact and then I reduce the angle until it starts to cut.

I will bring home a practice plate tomorrow and try and upload a practice plate of the work I have done using my system 3 tool results.

In all my working life, I have used what was available until I was skillful enough to realize what better results could be expected with better equipment. For now, I am still in the learning curve with my system 3.

good luck with yours

jack

I have used the sys. 3 for a number of years. the only adjustment on mine is to adjust the air and spring type. Sorry to say I do not use the sys. to engrave. I use it at the bench to set prongs onto stones and bezel set round cabs and channel setting. It works just great for this. I found little control for fine cuts on engraving, but is a great tool for the bench. Take care Jack

air 4 system 3

My summer time compressor 6.5 hp airless 60 gallon craftsman. Compressor cycles some. My winter compressor is a 4hp 20gallon campbell hausfeld this one cycles more but it is remotely located to lessen the distraction. When air pressure is limited to 50psi or less tool continues to work even when the compressor cycles back on.

As fas too much, I don't know.