Critique Request Belt Buckle

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Heres a steel buckle i releif engrave and inlayed the brand that i use for my makers mark. I have tried to incorparate the advice i have recived from you guys in the last couple of months. I know its still a long way from good but i can see some improvement from the last one i posted.
Thanks in advance for any help and comments
Steve
P.S. yes it is left handed lol

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Steve,
Your buckle look pretty good.
A few areas need improvement but I'm sure you are working on these.
Scrolls need to be a little rounder, don't get in a hurry to cut your layout.
A couple of areas of background are over large, black in your design before cutting.
Releived and stippled background needs to be more even and not show bright spots.
Your finished piece looks over polished or buffed and has removed the "crispness" of the engraving. Try not to do this....or is it just the lighting and photograph?
You have nice straight borders and the inlays look good on this curved surface.
Couple of small improvements and you're on your way.
Best regards.

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you John i appercaite your critique a bunch. The lighting in the photo isent very good but its proably a combination of the 2. I will work on your suggestions and your help is very much appercaited!
Steve

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Steve!
I can't add more to what John already wrote - but i would like to say your design is very pleasing to my eye. I like how you filled the form.
Thank you for showing it!
Mario

Andrew Biggs

Hi Steve

I agree with what John is saying. All the elements are there and your scroll layout is heading on the right track.

So it's really a matter of more time and more practice and that will bring a refinement to the work.

Cheers
Andrew

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
I like the over all affect, the scrolls show a little roughness in spots but for a mans belt buckle that may add to it. I especially like your leaf shaping. I liked the polishing and a very nice photo.

Jim

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve, I think all the important stuff you need to hear has been said, or I should say "see" and "wrote". That buckle is a very nice peice of work, and looks good. The overall design and effect is pleasing to the eye. Thanks for sharing and keep on posting. Seth

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you everyone i appercaite your comments and advice. Its good to know im finally headed in the right direction.
Thank you again!
Steve

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve I applaude you for completing the buckle. Now throw it in a drawer so that you can look at it down the road to guage how far you have come. I am not going to be as kind as the rest. Next time, shape the buckle before you cut out the throat. You have been doing this work for too long to be putting out this caliber of work. The engraving should improve but you have no excuse for the mechanics of the buckle. Vic would kick you in the a_ _ if he were alive. Sorry to be so critical but I have known you too long to give you a pat on the back.

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Lenoard thanks for letin me know what you think,I know i can count on you to tell me excatly what you think. There was a tie in the throat when i domed it i just got a little carried away at the press and domed it to much. And you are prolly right about Vic, I just wished he was around to do it lol.
Steve

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
STEVE, I hear what you are saying. DO NOT cut out any part of the throat before you dome the buckle. It is a lot easier to engrave the buckle after it has a slight dome because the shape/dome is a natural relief for your graver.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i would wear such a creation wiyh pride !! and if some bonehead come close enough with a magnifyin glass, h'e be kissin my boot