silver scrolls on buckle set

Wilson Capron

Here is a buckle set I recently made. The scrolls are 22 gauge sterling, overlayed onto the steel. I've also been playing with photoshop as you can tell. Fun, but plenty to learn there as well. Any pointers are welcome, from design to execution on both the buckle set and photoshop.

Attachments

• Andrew B buckle set .jpg
    Andrew B buckle set .jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 381

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wilson,

You have a good style going, and a steady hand!

I enjoyed going through your web album. In particular, I like the Tom Butler Memorial Concho. It works very well for me!

Hope you keep posting!

Rod

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Awesome set Wilson. I like the way you did the bigger image in the background.

Dwayne

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very nice design. I like it. Thanks for posting your work, Wilson.

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Wilson, Very nice! I was experimenting with some overlays on some knives awhile back and found that 22 gauge was nice thickness to work with also. Scroll work looks great nice and wispy. I cant really help you on the photoshop end. Doug

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not only is your work really nice, your photography shows it very nicely as well.

tmroper

Wilson
Did you cut the scrolls out w/ a jewelers saw or did you use water jet?

tmroper

Wilson,
Thanks I have never done a filgree overlay with scrolls that fine. Your buckle looks great. I bet as thin as those scrolls get it gets pretty tricky to saw out. Seems to me the part would want to flex a lot as you remove more and more material. So I was curious how you approached the situation.
Thanks

Wilson Capron

tmroper,
The way I tackle it, is to cut all the holes out first (background areas in between leaves). I then cut out the outside. A trick is to start the outside cut from a hole that you drill next to the outside drawing so that you leave a hard edge that doesn't weaken. Don't start by just cutting through the outside edge of your silver to get to your drawing. It keeps your scrolls that are weak in place. They can't get bent this way. I hope that this is not confusing.

Latest posts

Sponsors