Question: Sardonyx-Agate rough material for cameos or intaglios

orafo

Hello everybody, I'm happy that I've found this site, thanks Sam and all the great artists in this community. I live in Los Angeles since 1991, I came from Rome( Italy) I studied and graduated from a famous school of arts for jewelry, beside following my father's steps since he was a silversmith for the Vatican. Anyway my question for who could eventually help is where I could find good rough material as sardonyx or agate or onyx to produce intaglios and cameos, I got some water level banded agate specimen from the north lakes, but when I started to slice them don't have good constant coloration through the center, so very pale, and mostly not really intense stripes as well anyway, I used to have long time ago a dealer who used to send me two layers agate already cut ready to use for intaglio or cameos, but I've lost him and can't find him anymore, I'm searching online constantly but no success, any suggestion.....Grazie mille!
Gabriele Baldazzi

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Orafo:
If you can wait a little while, During February they hold the Quartzsite Rock swap and sale over in Quartzsite, AZ. Also during the same time frame there is the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show and sale in Tuson, AZ. I would say to get to one of them, as, if it's available for sale, it will be there. For the Quartzsite show, plan on 3-4 days to see all the dealers, as for Tucson, plan on a week.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gabriele,

Good luck with your search. I've tried for a couple of years to find a source for quality agate for Cameo carving. But, I've not had any success. I've gone to Gem and Mineral Shows, Jewelry Shows etc. with no luck. I've also been trying to find Sardonyx Shells from Madagascar, again with no success. If you do find any supplier, please lets us know where to look.

Thanks,

Mark

canadian

Elite Cafe Member
Orafo,

The best place to find this kind of material is in Idar Obersein, Germany.
One of the reasons there isn't much of this material around is because they buy up most of it right from the mines.

Take a look on line. Do a search for Idar Oberstein.

I am sorry, but I have not dealt with them in some years now and I don't remember who would have it.
Another way is to contact a local German Embassy, their trade department and ask them to get the information for you. That is their job. You will get a whole list from them.

Good luck to you.

Boris

orafo

Thanks Mark for your reply, I saw your carving and it's superb, reminds me the school of TORRE DEL GRECO near Naples in Italy where I did some training. If you're in the same position of mine in finding this material I really have to believe that is going to be difficult, I'll keep looking anyway. Thanks

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Orafo, I've been going to the Tucson Gem Shows for quite a few years and have made some connections.
I know a few people from Idar Oberstein; I'll ask around IF I go this year.

Mark, if you'll PM me with a photo if possible of what you're interested in I'll see what I can do. Everybody in the business seems to know everybody else.
I've never looked for materials like these but I'm always surprised at what shows up.
Kevin

orafo

AGATE CAMEO: Good speciments in Lake Superior

I've found some good source for good water level banded Agate form LAKE SUPERIOR. Need to go through many rocks to find good cameos material. I'm posting some picture from one of my works.

Attachments

• agata1.jpg
    agata1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 60
  • agata2.jpg
    agata2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 66
  • agata3.jpg
    agata3.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 65
  • agata4.jpg
    agata4.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 67
  • sphynx2.jpg
    sphynx2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 73

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I buy a lot of agate material on Ebay. There are unlimited supplies of agate material if you are persistent in trying different names of the rock material in the search title.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I should have added to my comments on searching ebay to include the word "rough"

Patternweldor

Hello Orafo,

If you type in Lake Superior Agate in the E-bay search you will usually find from 1 to 4 pages of lake superior agate in varying forms such as water level(which I think would work for you), eye agate, conventional banded agate, and many other types such as moss and carnelian types, the agates up here are very rich in color and I think would be suited very fine for what you are creating, their hardness is great, colors can be outstanding, the only problem as with other agates is a possibility of small cracking but that usually means an unflawed nodule is more valuable. The smaller sized agates are much more affordable, the main price factor is freedom from imperfections, quality of color, patterns of banding, and just general appeal. I have hunted them since the mid sixties and they are ever eluding.

Take Care, and Good Luck with your search
Sincerely,
Chris

Latest posts

Sponsors