The Obama Commerative Peace Dollar

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
can anyone point me in the right direction?

I met a vacationing buisnessman here on the beach who has bought this coin with the intention of mass marketing it.
How,or who, should he contact that could do the production.
I take all business proposals with a bit of salt,however he thinks that the coin will be a success and is going to put up a web site and market it to Tea Party members if it can be readily manufactured . Who knows I may be able to afford a better class of wine when the royalties pour in.
Thanks,and have a great day

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
I see the point - at 61 I am in a position to worry. It some times takes someone on the outside to see what is going on

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joseph
That coin is a hoot very nice work IMHO. In the USA if you own the coin you can do as you wish as long as you dont try represent it as more than the face value. As for production (gtsport) might be able to help

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
The law reads that it is unlawful to deface with the intent to defraud. The way I explain it is to say it is perfectly legal to smash a nickel, cut it, drill a hole in it, carve my name in it and wear it as a belly button ring, but if I take that same nickel, roll it to 1mm thickness and punch out a dime size blank for the coffee machine, or add/remove a mintmark to misrepresent what the coin originally was, that is intent to defraud and a big no no.

Joe Paonessa

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Joseph,

This businessman bought it with the intent to mass market it and he is asking you to find out how to manufacture it in quantity? Doesn't sound like the right kind of businessman for the job to me. However, to answer your question, there are a number of private mints that could handle the job, Patrick mint, Northwest Territorial Mint, Sunshine Mint, Moonlight Minting, Just google these or google "private mint" for a bigger list.

Joe Paonessa

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Joe for pointing me in the right direction,I have small faith in this guy.
As you know, to make it as a artist we need to explore every possibility,even if it leads to a dead end. His question to me was"Do you think this coin could be massed produced". I said someone on this forum should know.If it comes to something, that will be great. If not, it was fun and I made some money.Have a great day.
Joseph

Sponsors