Some stuff that happened after GM 09

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After Martin's Strolz' teaching week, some people stayed on a little bit longer. I am signed on to Diane Scalese's week, starting on this coming Monday, so I did a rare thing for me, I stuck around Kansas. With some good local friends I have been seeing the back country and attending a musical night in a historic town, plus doing a little bit of homework, like keeping an eye on my flutemaking business over the internet. I am a bit slow in writing up my promised impressions of Martin's week, but will get to it.

Bob Finlay was in the class and invited us over to his place to see his wonderful barn makeover in a "back to the '50's" style. He is an all round wonderful genius in the guise of a Kansas farmer, not forgetting that many a Kansas farmer is a genius, yet Bob's interests and accomplishments are many. He showed us his souped-up small tractors that can crank out horse power in the hundreds.

Andrew Biggs and I had some days in the tall prairie grasses with Lynda and Jan as our guides, and I got to pick, strum, and sing with about 25 old time/bluegrass/ gospel players, plus look around many a fine spot with Lynda, Charie, and Jan.

Here below is a link to a slide show, with apologies for its unfinished condition. Hope it will give a taste of what is available near Emporia and an encouragement to linger longer next time you go there.

The engravings are from the GRS archives in glass cupboards. My photos are more like snap shots and apologies for some not being crisp ...

http://picasaweb.google.com/rodcameron2/KansasBackcountry#

At the end of the 300 plus photos there is some video of the music evening.

I have to start taking more time off, and get around to some other engrave-ins and shows. I really enjoyed Scott P's company, and must make it to his place and others, and stop working so hard.

best wishes

Rod

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great photos Rod!
Looks like a great tour you had after the class. I can still see that smile on Martin's face when he climbed aboard the tractor!
Rex

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't hang around down there too long or your accent will deteriorate permanently!!:shock:
Have a great time with Diane and tell her I said hello too. she is a great talent, should hep spiff up the silver on your flutes.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks, Guys!

Yes, Diane is a great talent and a natural teacher. Just hoping her long journey from Montana is a safe one, as she started in snow. I did her combined class with Ron S, and that was really good! Two great teachers in one go.

Rex, always a treat to be in your company, with Mike and the free limo service, thank you!

I was sad to see Andrew leave on Wednesday. I moved into his room at the motel as it was the quietest. I sniffed it for signs of tobacco smoke, but he must have been a good boy, as it was completely smoke free. He passed on Martin's stash of strong European coffee that came over from Europe, and I am now the third recipient! Its gooooood!

Hope Andrew got through airport security with all them sharp lil' gravers in his carry-on, otherwise he may still be in Kansas ..... engraving his handcuffs?

best

Rod

Andrew Biggs

Hi Rod

It really was a lot of fun wasn't it!!! :) Those pictures are great thanks

I'm home at last.

Kansas, Phoenix, LA, Auckland and finally Christchurch. Lost a suitcase but then it was found and duly followed me home........thank goodness as it was the one with all the tools in it. I had to buy another suitcase to get everything into it and was 7 Kg's heavier than when I left home :)

The whole trip was a complete blast from start to finish. Invigorating, exciting, stimulating, motivating and every other "ing" word I can think of. The GM weekend, the GM class, hospitality, friendship and company was simply the best. It really was a magical mystery tour and I look forward to doing it again in the futrure.

Tommorrow is back to reality with checking messages and returning phone calls and clearing the mail...........I sense an early home time already :)

Have a great class with Diane........it should be most enjoyable as she's a fabulous teacher and person.

Cheers
Andrew

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Rod, after looking at the pictures, I would wish to leave either... Just looking at the engraved work of those past and present, plus the old vises, guess all of us whom havent made the trip as yet, should get off the couch and go... Many thanks for those pictures...RICK One thing more; sure would like to be able to look at that engraving pattern book. Any idea if it was ever reproduced ???

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod thanks for the pictures.
It's worth the trip just to meet Bob Finlay, an American treasure.
Kevin

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mucho gusto enconecerle en Emporia, Joseph, y gracias para tu libra!

I can tell you the weather has turned very 'Scottish' in Emporia, and I have fond memories of firing up my aparata de carbon on the Zihautanejo beach back in 1960, when I was living in that warm climate .... con los pobres de la tierra. I got to your town along a 200 km dirt road, and it was still a small place. In those days Mexico City was a mere village of 10 million, my how times have changed?

It was quite a kick to see and try your bulino eyeglasses, and your other ergonomic tool handles.

You were in fine voice when we were pickin' and strummin' !

Hasta otra dia!

Rod

Sandra Brady

Hey Rod, thanks for the looksie into your week. Loved the photos. Had a great time in class getting to know you. It's back to the grind stone for me!
Take care,
Sandy

Latest posts

Sponsors