Cover up or expose the fact.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam, I understand your point of view, but I don’t agree.
We have 5 children and 3 grandchildren, nudity was never hided, not only in our family but by most people on the continent of west Europe.
Even baby dolls for children look like “boys and girlsâ€￾, there is nothing amputated.
Also the Greek and Romans had public statues without fig leaves.
So in my opinion nude is something totally different than sex and in my living world, there are no children that could be shocked seeing a nude illustration.
And as far as I learned, Adam and Eve where naked.

arnaud

Arnaud: I have no problem with nudity in engraving when it's done tastefully. What I have a problem with is the directions that discussions like this take in my forum. It doesn't seem to stop with nudity, and I've had to close or delete threads because of crude comments that I wouldn't want your kids or my grandkids reading. Seeing Adam in the nude is no big deal, but believe me when I tell you that it won't stop with that.

Anyone is welcome to disagree with me or the Cafe's rules. This is an extension of our home, and about the only thing we ask of Cafe members is to respect our wishes and govern themselves accordingly, just as we would do when visiting your home.

Cheers / ~Sam

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay Sam, I understand and sure I respect the Cafe's rules.
And a good thing of course one takes care on that.
Perhaps it is my little vocabulary of the “Spoken English” that prevents me understanding “slang expressions”

I thought all opinions about it in this tread where serious ones.
So now I understand better the point you made.

Arnaud

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud, There's a question here between life and 'art'.

In the US there are what's called anatomically correct dolls in addition to non-anatomically correct dolls. There is also a very deep rooted Puritan streak in American culture. Nudity is generally considered incorrect among the general population, but there are also nudists. The position on nudity varies greatly from region to region.
I voted for the fig leaf which carries great symbolism in the field of art; reference Albert Durer. Only prudes would object to Michelangelo's anatomically correct sculpture; but I don't think others could take the same freedom.
I tried to give a general overview of American culture on this topic. No puns, inside jokes, or personal opinions in this post.
Kevin

PERSONAL COMMENT: I don't want to offend or start an argument, but personally I think Adam ate a fig rather than an apple.

Last edited:

themidnightrust

Only prudes would object to Michelangelo's anatomically correct sculpture; but I don't think others could take the same freedom.

I know I shouldn't post this, but darn it, I think it's funny.

When Michelangelo's David was installed, the Florentines found it so wildly inappropriate that the thing had to be guarded at all hours for fear of vandalism. The watch continued until a local craftsman was able to gird it with a brass belt supporting a loincloth of copper leaves.

I know it misses the entire point of your post, but I think that's the first time I've used anything I learned in that art history elective I took! :big grin:
---
sig goes here

Latest posts

Sponsors