Where (and how) to get a GREAT LOUPE for free!

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all!

I realized some days ago when I was inspecting a circuit board, what I was using to read that microscopic printing on the SMD components.
I took off the lens from an old scanner a couple of years ago. These lenses are superb because its application. They must focalize the image on the scanner sensor with any aberration so they are built with excellent optical glasses in a sturdy body.
Then I remembered Jo (Artemis) post about the loupes and triplets and thought that you may be interested in recovering this wonderful lens from the trash.

There are a lot of scanner types made by also a lot of manufacturers but all the optics units are almost identical. It might be some differences in the mounting procedure but anyway it is quite easy taking that lenses out.

I hope many of you will be able to get one of this powerful optics!! :)

Cheers!
Leonardo.

Attachments

• S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 255
  • S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 255
  • S3.jpg
    S3.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 259
  • S4.jpg
    S4.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 267
  • S5.jpg
    S5.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 275

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Leonardo; you going to engrave it ?????? Very good thread, good advice. now to head off for the basement to make a mess of our old scanner; wonder what else can be salvaged ????

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks to you all for your kind comments.
I would like to be able of showing you this lens in person to see the hight quality of it. I hope every one will be able to get one! :)

Rick, an scanner is quite "generous" in parts so what else?... a nice little fluorescent lamp with its own high frequency power supply (needs a low voltage main supply), a stepper motor and a pair of pulleys and timing belt... :)

All the best,
Leonardo.

Attachments

• S6.jpg
    S6.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 120
  • S7.jpg
    S7.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 118

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thank you, Leonardo! Now I'll be on the lookout for a discarded scanner!

I've added this to the Tips Archive. Many thanks for your great contributions to the Cafe.

~Sam

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Dang. We had a county wide electronics recycling three weeks ago, I dumped three old tower computers (hard drives removed), a big battery backup and a scanner.
:(

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Leonardo - i love you people who are able to use the screwdriver in conjunction with the brain and who are curious all time in live.
And now back to my old "ScanPrisa"... ;)

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
You are all welcome! Thank you again for your compliments.

I would like that who be able to recover a lens from a scanner report the experience an opinion about the lens here. Some feedback would be great!

Good luck to all of you!
Leonardo.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thank you for a great post as usual, Leonardo.
And to think I recycled two old scanners a couple of weeks ago.
Without your great salvage idea, will know better next time.
Best regards.

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hola Leonardo ,
eres un real inventor , quizas sea por el nombre que llevas :)

Thank You Leonardo , you're very clever . May I add that you can find the same lens in old Photocopiers or Fax?

I 've made a loupe X3 with this kind of lens , it's a bit heavy but these optics are far better than the plastic ones .

Greetings

Jean

Attachments

• loupe fax .jpg
    loupe fax .jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 77

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hola Jean! Gracias... pero no es para tanto!!

By the way... that's great! But that lenses are quite bigger than the scanner's ones.
I liked very much your loupe... well done!!

Un gran abrazo!
Leonardo

Last edited:

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi John!
What a pity! The same happened to Walter...

We have here in Catalonia places called "Deixaleria". This places are administrated by the City Council to let the people recycle the thing they do not need anymore, broken things, electronics, etc. I do not know how you call a place like this in USA.

Yesterday I was there to leave some objects and found that old scanner and suddenly thought in takeing it to home to take some pictures and arrange this post to the Cafe.

May be you be able to find a place like this to look for a discarded scanner...

All the best!
Leonardo.

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leonardo, this is not John, but in some places they do have 'recycling centers' in the US.
Kevin

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Arnaud!

Yes, they are almost empty although they are able to catch the image by light reflexions and conducting it through that optical "funnel" push it into the wires to the computer... an authentic technical marvel!
I still remember that I paid almost $500 for my first SCSI scanner in the mid 1990s... :(

Best regards, Leonardo

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i got a couple very good ones as well from trashed hand-held video cameras. they are good as well.