14kt yellow gold and sterling silver overlay

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Thought I would post a couple pictures of what I have been working on lately. Nothing dresses up a knife like a little gold! I see gold prices are hovering around the $1000.00 an ounce area again. Ouch!

Attachments

• overlay.jpg
    overlay.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 301
  • engraver64 013.jpg
    engraver64 013.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 337

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That looks nice, but looking at the knife, I have to assume you did it more for practicing the technique than to increase the desireability of the spyderco. They are great knives but it doesn't take much work to exceed the value of the knife.

I say this because I do the same as I increase my confidence to engrave nice custom knives.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The end result looks good.
For the amount of gold used is the mkt price problematic?
It would seem the work you did is the major component of the selling price.
Speculators are causing havoc with the price of gold.
Kevin P.

nomentalgiant

Elite Cafe Member
Well done!! The sculpted gold with the textured background gives it quite an organic look. Very nice.

How is it soldering that plate to the knife? Is the clean up afterward a mess?

Last edited:

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
There is no clean up after soldering the plate to the knife. You just trim up to the edge. I used staybrite so if you did get a little on there it would scrape off easily with a flat graver. Hi Mike, Gold works wonderful. October 1 is thursday. Saw a nice 10 pointer scouting the other night.

Last edited:

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the information. I will order gold next week. Bought more graver blanks and stuff this week.

I will have to do my deer scouting during fall turkey season in Gallatin and Hardin counties.

While in Colorado in September I got close enough to 2 decent bull elk to smell them, but couldn't get a clear shot, so didn't shoot. My buddy had them clear, broadside at 20 yards, but had only a cow tag, so no steaks for us this year.

Mike Fennell

Latest posts

Sponsors