New YouTube video - Fine Shading by Sam

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great visual aid Sam, Thank you for your time. The quality of the video was outstanding with the lighting & everything. Nothing left to guess, Loaded great on my end. Watched it twice, will watch more when time permits. Thanks again,

Dwayne

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

These video clip are excellent and are playing well for me. On my wish list for your next one, if you are willing, is a just a short one on back ground removal before stripping, using a small flat with rounded heel (or do you prefer simple heel?) The nice thing about your videos is that they do not need to be lengthy, just long enough to demonstrate your preferred procedure.

Best

Rod

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam...

Loads fine on my machine, not bad for a Third World lifestyle we have here in rural Oz.

Power I know is different from H&C, the results are the same, one major difference I noticed was when you were cutting clockwise...a real no no when using a push graver which is what I use for most of my shading.

I was supprised how course your cross cutting was, the effect is really good...and boy did I learn the first time though this....will play it several more times before I go out into my shed to try some of what I learned...

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks guys. :)

Rod: I use a square graver for background removal. If it's a very large area I'll flatten the bottom with a flat graver after I've used a square for the excavation. I'll see about putting something together on this. If I don't get a chance to, let's get together while in Kansas and I'll show you.

Roger: Yes, with handpiece engraving we can cut clockwise or anti-clockwise (counter-clockwise as we say in the States) at leisure. Back before I used handpieces I still had to do quite a bit of shading in a clockwise direction with a push graver. It wasn't always easy and if I felt I lacked control I'd grab a h&c. One of the benefits of handpiece engraving is perfect control in both directions. Those that have never engraved the old school way can't fully appreciate the control of handpiece engraving!

~Sam

Here's a shot of the finished scrollwork in the video.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Look at all the great things you find when you use the search button.

Last post 2009:eek:

Thanks Sam

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You're welcome, Carlos. Glad you found the video, and good luck with your shading. :thumbsup:

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Sam like all the rest THANKS. Need some confirmations of crosshatch "rules" as I saw your video.

It appeared to me that:

The crosshatching started with greater spacing and finished with closer spacing of the crosshatch.

The crosshatching was of the same (nearly) the same width/thickness at the start as at the finish, not "thin to thick" like the detail lines.

The crosshatching was about 1/2 the depth of the details lines.

If these perceptions are not correct please explain.

Roger

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Sam like all the rest THANKS. Need some confirmations of crosshatch "rules" as I saw your video.

It appeared to me that:

The crosshatching started with greater spacing and finished with closer spacing of the crosshatch.

The crosshatching was of the same (nearly) the same width/thickness at the start as at the finish, not "thin to thick" like the detail lines.

The crosshatching was about 1/2 the depth of the details lines.

If these perceptions are not correct please explain.

Roger

Yess, I wanna know too;):graver::chip:

Jørn-Ove

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

Excellent video with resolution 480, very clear.

Thank you for sharing

scratchn

Hopefully Sam notices the excellent question above and can provide some clarification.
As a struggling new engraver, I too, can use all the help I can get.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Sponsors