Colorado cities printing their own money

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A long time ago when I was a pup most of my family worked for Colorado Fuel and Iron in sothern Colorado. At the time the CF&I paid in company script. You worked for the company, got paid by in company script, lived in company house, bought your car at company dealship, your food at the company store, banked at the company bank, and if you did like it they would always put down trouble makers with clubs and guns. Lots of the mining industry and steel millss lived that way. Folks fought hard to end the "Company Script". Like the man said you owed your soul to the company store-Fred

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Good stuff Scott,

Berkshire County began a similar program in '06. I believe it was the first in the nation. The principle is the same and to keep it from being "illegal", it is based on an exchange rate with the dollar rather than gold or silver. They might as well base it on Confederate notes but what the heck ...it's a great idea, it works and is certainly a subtle act of defiance against a fiat currency in free fall.

Here's a note from the "Berkshares" designer, John Isaacs, who believes that U.S. federal currency is among "the least imaginative in the world" .... certainly something a non-engraver/computer artist would say.

http://www.berkshares.org/about/isaacs.htm

I've spoken with the people at Berkshares.org and believe it or not, they get a good chunk of funding from collectors around the country who simply want to collect the different denominations.

A pretty good investment if you don't mind waiting 50 years.:big grin:

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred
Must have been from Pubelo Colorado, CFI mostly gone now, several strikes etc takeovers. A shadow of the giant corp it was once was. Great song by Tenn Ernie and sad but true. I am from Pittsburgh Pa where Andrew Carnegie did the same a long time ago

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave, Yes sir from "pubelo by the two rivers"-there is not much left. Lost family in Walsenburg during the strick. My family worked in the mill in Peublo and in the mines over around Ouray-my first non farm job was 3 miles under Haden Mountain in the Camp Bird mine in 68-Next exposure to "script" was southeast asia-Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors