High $$$ Restoration

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A good bit of my work (about 1/3) is in restoring the original stampings on antique classic motor vehicles.
Here's the "Before" and "After" pics of the work done on the headlight buckets of a popular British automobile.
When I opened the box, I thought "Oh Rats!, They left the chrome on them", but after the initial examination, I discovered that these are made of solid Sterling Silver.
Something different,eh?

Attachments

• RollsRoyceBefore3.jpg
    RollsRoyceBefore3.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 420
  • RollsRoyceBefore2.jpg
    RollsRoyceBefore2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 424
  • RollsRoyceAfter1.jpg
    RollsRoyceAfter1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 431

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Perfect job!

That's a heck of a jig, you been hanging around Tira the master big jig maker?
Biggest hunk of silver I've ever seen!

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
COOL! I would have guessed they were off of a Rolls, and the last picture answered my question.

I'll have to look more closely at the lights when I see Rolls Royces.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow Brian! Very Cool!

Brian has helped me many times in trying to figure out the best way to "jig" something. This jig looks very sturdy.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
YIKES ! all i ever get to do is a dumb ole flashlight now & then ! brian, i did see some j-pegs of a rather wealthy guy in kuwait that owned a mercedes. the body metal was made of sterling sheet metal.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice work Brian!
Are you sure they are sterling? The reason I ask is cars from that era (post "brass era" cars) usually had the bright parts nickle plated as chrome was not being used at the time. I'm wondering if they aren't nickle silver? Rolls were expensive cars but I would think sterling might have been an overkill. I don't really know anything about that era RR cars but just that other cars of that era used nickle and nickle plating.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rex, you could be right. They could be nickle silver---never thought about that.
I do know that they aren't plated with anything. It is a solid metal and they weren't hard to cut.
(The vibrations from the Monarch HP made it ring like a bell---I had to use earplugs)

rrupp

I had a friend in Seattle that spent most of his life restoring Rolls and Jags. Most of the bigger parts were nickel silver but hood ornaments and interior fittings were sterling. What is fascinating about that time period is like engraving these guys had to do a lengthy apprenticeship to do bright work. You brought back a nice piece of history.

Latest posts

Sponsors