A silk purse from a Sow's ear?

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

Nicely done! I should ship my Deckel Pantograph mill to you for a total refurb!! (sure needs it)

WL

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

You may start making flutes, as well as engraving them?

Believe me, you are heading down the river of no return, once bitten by the usefulness of the lathe, you will never go back. I made my first one from an old orange box and vacuum motor when I was 12 years old. Within a few years I was working around one that could swing 200 tons between centers on the Clyde side. I am back to small ones once more.

Rod

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ever hear costellos' wife sing ? and play the piano ? dianna krall. a super tallented lady if ever there was one.

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
You will love a flat belt machine...smooth and quiet...of course you have to work out your thread pitches with a pen and paper...but that is easy...great work on the restore...last one of these a mate had, got it from a trading post mag advertised as a "Strange Clamp" (Of course the price was right...lady got it from her ex to sell...classic !)

Hot Knobs

Elite Cafe Member
South Bend

Brian, I think you need to look at keeping your quick change box, it is an asset to your lathe, think you will need it , was using my lathe today and looked at the gear box and it has a short stub out of the box and is hooked to the lead screw with a sleeve with two pins, I think you need to make it work, if you want to cut threads you need it. Deane

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Deane....Maybe when I get enough experience with this, I can make the sleeves to connect the GB to the leadscrew.
At least I have the GB, right? It's just a matter of getting it to fit on the lathe.
I've got the time....and the price was really good.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian.
That's a good looking job so far but it looks like you still have some ways to go. You have to get that feed screw on there and the rest of the change gears.
Looks like your aware of all that. What all is missing the half nuts?

Last edited:

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jerry, the only thing missing is change gears, drive belts and tooling.
(Sorry if this starting to sound vulgar) I got the half nuts and the lead screw. I just hadn't done that when I took the picture.

I've got everything else...motor,drum switch, banjo brackets, gear covers.
Thanks...............you got change gears you wanna get rid of?

Last edited:

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, I'd love to get one like that! I see old ones on Craigslist but I wouldn't know what to buy without studying up first. Then I'd have to learn how to use it.

Latest posts

Sponsors