Hand engraving script lettering video

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks.
I understand what you are saying. It just seems it can be a pain to get both sides of the thin line to "line up" exactly. But then again I struggle with all aspects of lettering.
I even have "spell check" in my pencil....

tbear

Saving Lettering video

Cloudy,
If you are using Firefox you can download "Easy Youtube Video Downloader 1.6" and or "DownloaderHelper 4.6.2" and then you can save the video. I have saved it but it ends up being a 21mb file so unless I put it up on another web site that will handle that size file it will not go through emails. I have a site that will take large files and will see about posting it there and posting the download site here for anyone who wants to save it to there computer if it's alright with Sam. :)
T

Jude

Sam
Thank you for a wonderful demonstration. I especially enjoy the layout portion of the video which shows your true artistry. I have practiced script lettering with both a 120 and a flat and have been leaning lately towards the flat. I have been wanting to offer script lettering as a service in my jewelry store but I have a ways to go before it's acceptable. Thanks for making the path a little clearer.
Jude

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Excellent Sam. You make using the pencil on wax look easy, laying out the letters spot on.
I think little videos would be a nice added touch to the forum.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Sam, very nice video; it helps to be able to replay if something goes by too fast.
I noted that you tapered the C Max; would the end result be comparable to a 36 flat, the face that is?
Thanks
Kevin P.

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam,
That is really a great video :thumbs up:
I never used a flat for letters this big but gonna have to try because it seems you get a very broad cut.
Thanks,

Daniel

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Sam, very nice video; it helps to be able to replay if something goes by too fast.
I noted that you tapered the C Max; would the end result be comparable to a 36 flat, the face that is?
Thanks
Kevin P.

Kevin: A #36 flat is very narrow not practical to use for script lettering. If you want to use a conventional flat, something around #40 to #42 is good. C-Max must be shaped into a flat if you want to use it for that, and it's well worth the effort. It's the best graver material I've tried in 30 years.

Thanks everyone, and I'm glad you like the short video. Abigail says it lacks a plot and is too predictable. She suggests adding a car chase to make it more dramatic. She might be right.

Cheers / ~Sam

djfamine

How applicable would this method be without power assist? Is this something that would require either hammer or air, or could it be hand pushed?

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I should add that I tried Chris DeCamillis' idea of using a cast iron lap sprayed with diamond spray to polish gravers and it works great! It could very well be the best polishing method yet. Not only does it polish, but it actually sharpens as well. The first time I tried it I was surprised how fast it sharpened the heels on a 120° graver. I only wanted them polished, but it ground them back and polished them, too.[/QUOTE]

Sam thanks for the info on the size of the C Max that you use.
I have Chris' video which I found very helpful and a great start for someone, like me, who knows nothing about bulino. The one confusing part about use of the cast iron lap is, I believe he said, he sues 14,000 and 50,000 on the same lap.
I've done a lot of faceting of stones. Unless I've misunderstood that's what we call contamination. If both grits are used together it's a 14,000 lap. I don't know why 50.000 would be used in addition to the 14,000.
But maybe I misunderstood.
For those who might have trouble getting a cast iron lap, Crystalite Corp. has what they call a 'masterlap' which they promoted as an equivalent. The 'masterlap' is uncharged when you receive it. I don't know if this info is still current.
Kevin P.

Sam

Staff member
How applicable would this method be without power assist? Is this something that would require either hammer or air, or could it be hand pushed?

The cuts are made the same with by hand-push or power. The only exception is that with hand pushing, all cuts are made counter-clockwise only. We have more control and freedom with handpiece power, so we can bend that rule. As for hammer & chisel, I would cut them the same way as with a handpiece.

ragi07

slm herkese..ben yeni üyeyim.! metal üzerine yazılar rakamlar ile ilgili video varmı bildiğiniz.? çok istiyorum seyretmeyi....ütfen yardımcı olun:) herkese hayırlı günler

For the members who don't speak Turkish - here is the translation of the above message from Google:

slm herkese .. I'm new member.! figures on metal articles you know about the video varmı.? I want very much to watch everyone's help .... ütfen better days

Last edited by a moderator:

aalv2003

Time ago I ask Sam about he had in mind to go Spain to teach engraving. He said no. Im back in Uruguay now.. the posibility to have Sam teaching here doesnt exist... however watching this vids is like Sam is here in my home!!! Hope to see more, professor!!
Thank you very much.

Patternweldor

Hi Sam,

This is another great video that you have done, it is very helpful to see the convergence from the thick to thin, and the balance that you created. The flourishes that you added really made it stand out. It really gives a person a new inspiration to try some lettering with a new approach.

Top notch all the way!

Take Care
Chris

Sam

Staff member
Thanks folks, and I'm happy you're enjoying and learning from the video. Lettering is an excellent skill to have and many engravers don't place enough importance on it.

I was recently delighted to see an example of Tim Wells' lettering. I am really impressed with his control and execution. :beerchug:

~Sam

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, loved the video. I have a can of your Transfer Wax and have tried to use it the same way you did but when I start to engrave the drawing, I smear my design lines. I saw where you would brush away metal chips as you engraved. Do you use anything like a fixative to help prevent the smearing?

Mark

Sam

Staff member
Mark: Unfortunately this is one of the hazards of using transfer wax for layouts. Since it's an oily wax, a fixative doesn't work. You basically have to do your engraving without your fingers coming into contact with the surface. Difficult in the beginning but something you get used to after awhile. As for brushing away chips, sometimes I can 'lift' the chip by touching it with my finger and not smearing my design. Brushing can wipe away the layout so you have to be really careful.

There have been discussions on what engravers consider to be the best layout material. I thought I was one of a few who used beeswax & tallow, but apparently there are more than I was aware of. I don't think is better than other methods, but what I was taught with and I'm comfortable with it. You might try Chinese white and see how that works for you.

~Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors