a couple new knives

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Here are a couple I have done recently. Ron Luebke did the scrim on the one knife. Which was an awesome job. I studied it under the scope, he is really good. The design used, which is Fracassi-ish, or Klimisch with liberty style scroll, was chose for its subtleness. We wanted to let the scrim be the center piece and just accent it with ornamental work. The background is all lines, but blurs out to a soft gray.

The other is the second edition of the hunter and hunted series. I did one last year, on a similar knife with a leopard and gazelle. Thanks for taking a look. Brian

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

You keep getting better & better! Each & every time I see something you have done I am impressed! Keep raising the bar dude!!

WL

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

All beautifully designed and executed. You are one of the few American engravers who have tried (and succeded at) the "liberty" style of ornamentation.

Roger

Dan Grubaugh

Absolutely stunning work Brian! I don't know how you could consentrate on cutting that scroll with such a "beauty queen" as a distraction! Wow! is all I can say. Thank you for sharing your work as it is very inspirational!
Best,
Dan

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Brian, you're getting so good it's scary. After watching you progress over the past few short years, it's obvious how dedicated, driven and focused you are. You're putting some intense heat on the other knife engravers, buddy. And this is how it should be, because each time the benchmark is raised, the art advances. :beerchug:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Those are both exceptionally nice Brian. VERY different and executed to perfection.

Pleasure seeing them.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Scott, Don't think I planned that scroll matching the blade thing. It was not until I was putting the picture together did I notice. The reason for the design, was we needed the subtle grey background, and being Bar Rafaeli is a modern swimsuit model, I felt the ornament should reflect that. So the Victorian look would'nt work. Where the Liberty style has the modern look, and so it better fit the knife.

Sam, thanks for the kind words, I doubt other knife engravers are to worried. As slow as I am, I am not taking a huge bite out of the market. But I do know one of my old teachers, might need to get his motor charged up, cause he could get passed..............well eventually,maybe. (joking:))

Thanks for all the kind words guys and thanks again for taking a look. Brian

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott, Don't think I planned that scroll matching the blade thing. It was not until I was putting the picture together did I notice.

aaaahhh but sometimes I think the brain is seeing things and controlling the design that we don;t realize until later.

and FWIW, thanks to Rod, I will always think of you as the train ahead of the track engraver! LOL