L.D. Nimschke, Firearms Engraver

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
I just purchased New, L.D. Nimschke, Firearms Engraver, off of Ebay for $99.99 plus $6.00 shipping and $2.25 for insurance.

Seller says

I'M GETTING LOW ON THESE & WHEN THEY ARE GONE, THEY ARE GONE! Book Description: Title: "L. D. NIMSCHKE FIREARMS ENGRAVER" Written by R.L. Wilson. This is the high quality edition published in the US by Rowe. An Exact duplicate of the original & printed on 100 year acid free paper and binding materials.

Sounds like he must have more books available.

Ken

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i had the book, and gave it to a friend. nimschke is one of my favorites of those long-departed. the book is truly a joy to own and look at.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Definitely one of those must-have books. Nimschke was a prolific designer and engraver. This book is one of the best hand engraving references there is.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
L.D. Nimschke, Firearms Engraver was the first book I bought when I started and would not be without it today. I consider this book to be the first step that led to the revitalization of hand engraving that we are in the midst of today.

CRB

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
L. D. NIMSCHKE Book

Monk, Sam and Roger

I have done many Google searches looking for a used book that was reasonable priced (not quite ready to pay $200.00 for one).

When I finely found this guy (Malcolm Lafever, bigmick45)who sell the book new for $99.99 and says (at least implies) he has more books..

They are getting very hard to find.

Ken

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was lucky and bought a used one on ebay a few years ago. It is from the original printing in 1965.

I would like to see one of the ones like yours Ken to see if the quality actually was improved.

I LOVE that book and look at it frequently. It is astounding to think about how much work L.D. accomplished during his prolific career.

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Jo

Thanks for book search engin.

It found one (L.D. Nimschke, Firearms Engraver) used, for approx $120.00

I will use this, thanks again.

Pete

When my book arrives I will report back.

I just did a search Ebay for L.D. Nimschke, Firearms Engraver and got 2 hits, one for $200.00 and Malcolm Lafever, bigmick45 for $99.99.

Evidently bigmick45 still has more books available.

If you want this book better grab one.

Be advised I am not connected to bigmick45 in any way.

Ken

Last edited:

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
I bought one of these books from Mick LaFever a few months ago.

The book is new and still in shrink wrap ('92 printing and printed in USA). Mick was very professional (not a Gunbroker hustler) and took all of the necessary precautions to make sure the book arrived quickly and without any damage. Dented corners are one of my obsessive pet peeves.

Sometimes dealers will buy a case and tuck them away knowing very well that they can get a premium in a few years.

I wouldn't have any reservations to buy from this guy again ... I may do just that so I can list it in the buy and sell section here for $200 bucks next year because "when they are gone, they are gone".

Disclaimer: I am not connected to the seller in any way ... simply a satisfied buyer.

Last edited:

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
L.D. Nimschke Book

Christopher

I have not received my book yet.

I am a little worried, I have not had the best luck with USPS service lately (package arrived damaged by there equipment).

I want to be sure and get one (undamaged ) before they are sold out.

Ken

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi Ken,

I bought my book through Gun Broker ... not Ebay.

I just looked at his ad on Ebay and it's definitely the same guy.

I had great communication with him and he offered me shipment via either USPS media or Priority. I chose Priority because it was faster. Media shipping can take up to a week. I also requested delivery confirmation. He does what he says and packages & insures it accordingly unlike some sellers that skimp on the shipping and insurance.

I gotta say Ken, the Post Office has been holding me hostage out here in the middle of nowhere too. I haven't had much luck with them and it seems to be going on more frequently everywhere. If the package isn't packed with sufficient protection for the contents with adequate insurance then something has gone wrong. They lost a set of ebony grips last week with the package getting here torn open and empty.

I've had "Bigmicks" book auction on my watch list for awhile and he has not been selling a lot of them. In fact he has been re-listing the auction and "running low" for six months now. I estimate he's got 3 or 4 left since the last time I emailed him as I was figuring on buying a second one to tuck away.

I would contact him, explain the situation, and make sure he has a replacement book just in case yours shows up damaged. From my experience buying from him, I can tell you he is a professional seller and will guarantee his product.

The best thing to do when buying from Ebay or Gun Broker in the future is to ask the seller to recalculate shipping charges for extra packing as well as insurance & delievery confirmation if it is not already included. Two months ago I bought a very heavy book and the seller shipped it in a flat rate box ... can't tell you what a debacle that turned out to be.

I wouldn't worry about Bigmick. His Gun Broker add states: "Shipping is $6 in USA & includes robust packing to ensure safe transport during shipping."

Take care,

Chris

Last edited:

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
USPS Service

Chris

The problems I have been having would closely mirror your post.

I have had 2 packages with the ends broken open and arrived empty.

One Book mangled by there mechanical equipment.

I am happy to hear Mick packages well (I thought later I should have put that in comments).

Ken

Last edited:
book ships from Rochester, Ny

Thanks for the tip. I ordered the book on Wednesday and it was delivered USPS on Friday. The book was very well packaged. It was new in the shrink wrap. I have seen two original copies and I think this reprint has better, more clear images.

I am in Elmira, Ny about 80 miles from Rochester. If you live farther away, west coast, it may take longer.
I am sure it will be worth the wait.

John C.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Confirmation that this is a good copy was enough for me to talk the ever-indulgent wife into letting me get a copy.

So I'm happy with this thread, even if she's a bit grumpy (at least until it gets here and she sees it).

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
L D Nimschke Book

John

I am sure you will enjoy your book.

I thought there might be others who wanted a copy.

Steve

I know where you are coming from.

But you are handling this all wrong, your supposed to convince her it was her idea.

Ken

Latest posts

Sponsors