Merkel Engravers

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I came across a web site that shows the 15 engravers that work at the Gebruder Merkel gun factory in Suhl Germany. Their experience ranges from 6 months to 41 years. Note the vises they use. None of them have a self centering vise like the Italians use nor do they use an engravers block like most of us use. Also their vise is on the side of a bench not on a corner or on a post. They do great work but use an H&C method many of us would consider a handicap because of the vise.
http://www.merkel-usa.com/core.php?...xMDE1NiZuYXZpZ2F0aW9uSUQ9MTAyMDkmbGFuZ0lEPTU=

Here is a link to their engravings pages. The pictures are not high resolution but you can get some idea of the work.

http://www.merkel-usa.com/core.php?...wMTU2Jm5hdmlnYXRpb25JRD0xMDE1NyZsYW5nSUQ9NQ==

CRB

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the links Roger, us humans always adapt to our work no matter how clumpsy it may appear to others, just look at Tiras set-ups,and she is somehow able to muddle through it and produce outstanding work. Still, it was an eye-opener !!!!! Sure would like to be able to walk thru the place and watch them at their work stations........

Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, I have been there at the Merkel factory a few times as well as the engraving school in Suhl. I will have to dig up some of my videos from back then. They have a very offset vise, which enables them to use the hammer pressure in the cut to make the whole vise to swing round and round to cut continious scrolls.

when I first told them that I used air-assist, they kindo of turned their noses up at me, but when I told them I could H&C and showed them, I was everybody's friend. I even got the hang of making the vises turn after awhile. I wanted to buy one of these vises, but they are very precious because the ones there are from before the war sometime.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i copied all the fotos and enlarged them as best as possible. they all appear to be able to rotate freely, and most look as though they also have a locking lever of sorts. interesting to see. thanks, roger.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Merkel

Thanks Roger
A few years ago I attended the IWA show in Nuremburg. Got to meet and talk to one of Merkel's engravers, she used the same vise and H&C and did the side plate by memory no drawing on the plate at all. This was a standard factory pattern. Also interesting that most of the European vices the front jaw is the stationary one,and they are mounted on a pipe and clamp arrangement so they can move up/down and turn in circlesAnd the kicker it is she was paid by piece work. Dave

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
"piece work". how strange. little wonder the lady wasted no time drawing the design. did they all work by such an arrangement ? how complex was the design she was cutting ?was she very fast ? sorry for all the questions, dave, but this makes me curious.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Monk
Don't know if all of them do piece work, It was a fairly fully engraved sideplate, and she was fast,but I thought that with air tools she could make more. I only had a few min to visit, the boss wanted to keep moving throught the show.

Sponsors