Ergonomics applied to improving microscopy workstations

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi ,

Well I thought about writing a artical on the subject of ergrnomics (work station postures and avoiding back pain) but there are many studys that are great to read already.

I am a Chiropractor that has been in practice for 30 years and a still new to engraving. I did work as a microbiologiest for a few years in medical schools also.

I use Wild/leica scopes known as one of the finest microscopes in the world but...

If you are not taking into consideration other factors you will end up with back pain, disk protrusions, and just a lot of pain.

People prone to this are dental hygenests, hair stylests, microbiologiets, inspection and quality control people, engravers and others that sit or standing for long periods of time doing intense work or work under scopes.

It would take quite a bit time to compose a proper artical for everyone to understand the factors that go into designing a quality work station (ergonomic) that takes most of the load off the worker and improves both quality of life and the workers production quality.

With that in mind there is a link that was done by Leica on ergonomics. Go to the bottom of the page and click read more on the Ergonomics applied to improving microscopy workstations and the next one on ergonomics reports.

http://www.stereo-microscopy.com/we...sf/(allids)/ab8f83b1d13cead0c1256d6e00289594#
Worth the reading..

Dr. Michael Showah (AirAmp)

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
airamp, Thanks for the article - it was very informative. I'll give some of the suggestions a try. :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
addressing just that problem, last week i began constructing a steel-framed cart to hold my scope. it allows the scope to be rolled out of the way when not in use. more importantly, allows me to better adjust myself and my chair to the scope when i use it. the scope is no longer in a fixed position on my work bench. the cart is still being "tweaked", as i call it. but seems a great improvemnent over the way i was working. the cart is made from discarded bed frames. mack would like that !

Attachments

• SCOPE BASE.JPG
    SCOPE BASE.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
. more importantly, allows me to better adjust myself and my chair to the scope when i use it. !

Monk, I hope you just said this wrong. The whole point of ergonomics, which I have always been a big advocate of, is to make your workbench and microscope fit YOU, not the other way around.
regards
Scott

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Back when I worked at a computer workstation and the corporate "ergonomics experts" were available to assess the equipment, there were some basics that seem to work in most repetitive and long term body positions.

When sitting and feet flat on the floor, your upper leg should be parallel to the ground. Your forearm should also be close to the same angle when using a keyboard or holding a graver, etc.

When seated, the natural curve of the spine should be maintained. There are various cushions available for this, or something as simple as rolling up a towel, and placing it between your lower back and the back of your chair, make a huge difference.

Those few things have worked well for me over the years.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A man wanting a new suit goes to a tailor whose prices he has heard are reasonable.

The tailor puts the suit on the man and stands him in front of the mirror. The man complains that the right sleeve is a bit long. He is told by the tailor to extend his arm a bit. The man looks in the mirror again and notices that the back of the suit coat now has pulled up a bit. The tailor tells him to put his hips a bit forward which the man does but since he is pushing forward with his hip, the length of the pant leg is not quite long enough. He is then told to walk with his left toe raised and flatfooted on he right foot.

The suit now looks ok so he leaves the store. To keep everything in place he walks bent over a little bit with his right arm extended more than the left. He walks with the left toe down and flatfooted on the right. This seems to keep everything in place.

As he lurches forward he approaches two older women. One says "look at that poor crippled man". The other says: "Yes, but look how nice his suit fits".

Kevin P.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A man wanting a new suit goes to a tailor whose prices he has heard are reasonable.

The tailor puts the suit on the man and stands him in front of the mirror. The man complains that the right sleeve is a bit long. He is told by the tailor to extend his arm a bit. The man looks in the mirror again and notices that the back of the suit coat now has pulled up a bit. The tailor tells him to put his hips a bit forward which the man does but since he is pushing forward with his hip, the length of the pant leg is not quite long enough. He is then told to walk with his left toe raised and flatfooted on he right foot.

The suit now looks ok so he leaves the store. To keep everything in place he walks bent over a little bit with his right arm extended more than the left. He walks with the left toe down and flatfooted on the right. This seems to keep everything in place.

As he lurches forward he approaches two older women. One says "look at that poor crippled man". The other says: "Yes, but look how nice his suit fits".

Kevin P.

and it undoubtedly still "suits" you well:big grin:

monk

Staff member
well, scott- you kinda got me there. my one theory about a bench is already violated;" a bench should be large enough to allow for expansion".the bench has allowed expansion that was never dreamed of when i made it. i never knew a cnc engraving machine would show up, with all the trimmings, including a scanner. who knew a printer would be added to the mix. add a scope a couple years ago, a crisis in benchtop real estate !
in this work room you'll also find an additional complete computer system, scanner, printer, fume exhauster, and air compressor- all supporting a laser machine.
then there's that crummy ole pantograph ! my walls are covered with shelves.
then, my friend, is all the junk i need to do the hand engraving ! hey, scott- can i come and live at your house ?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Here is a couple of interesting adjustable chairs I found in a recent Dick Blick's Art Supply catalog..pg. 542..tele.#1-800-447-8192. I hope that this is helpful to anybody who sits working at a vise at their workbench with or without a microscope.

Attachments

• jj.chairs.dick.blick.jpg
    jj.chairs.dick.blick.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 241

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
It would take quite a bit time to compose a proper artical for everyone to understand the factors that go into designing a quality work station (ergonomic) that takes most of the load off the worker and improves both quality of life and the workers production quality.

Hi Mike,

You're right. It's a complex subject and companies out there hire ergonomic consultants to get it right and reduce the comp claims. I'll be interested to see how this all fits into an article. Many thanks for all your expertise in this area. My chiropractor here treats a lot of lab technicians and the tips he has given me have been a big help.

Chris

Andrew Biggs

Who would think that sitting on your bum all day could cause so much greif!!:)

Yes, I agree Chris...........it should be an interesting article. And..I get to read it first!!

The problem with most articles I've read is that they can get a bit to deep trying to explain everything from A to Z and often forgets that the layperson is ergonomically illiterate. Something more simple, precise, basic and to the point can have a far better result sometimes. Sort of like someone telling you all about the inner workings and electronics on a TV................when all you really want to know is how to change channels, mute and adjust the volume.

Anything we can do to alleviate discomfort or future problems has got to be a benefit to us all. Small things can make a big difference.............now that sounds familiar!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Yes Andrew ... small things can make a difference. Even as closed minded and stubborn as I am, there's always something that sounds reasonable and worthy of "testing".

Then there are those where just a little knowledge can be very, very dangerous. I remember those days .... maybe ..... maybe I am still living in them? It's all a matter of perspective I guess.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
here's the scope cart. not fancy. will weld 1 more set of shelf brackets underneath. not evident in foto,the vertical supports also taper inwards, giving this great stability when rolling it about. many more small tweakings will be done to this before it's a done deal.

Attachments

• SCOPE BASE.JPG
    SCOPE BASE.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 120

glendikes

Hey Monk,
How about posting a few pics of the vise stand without the cloth. I'm looking for a mobile setup and this looks like my type of toy to go with my hospital junk collection for poor metal scratchers like me. It looks like a great addition to my Brunswick work positioner.
THX,
GD

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I too feel that good working posture is important. Although I am only 6 feet 1.5 inches tall, my back is longer than average. If I am working with a 'scope, I like to have my forearms horizontal, so set the top of the ball vise at my (sitting) elbow height, but with a long back, I was having to bend my neck to use the scope. I then realized that I could get different objective lens (the bottom lens on your 'scope). You can choose a lens to give you a longer or shorter working distance from scope to workpiece, in my case I went from about 6 inches to 10 inches. This allowed me to have the scope eyepieces four inches higher, and so feel better working with a straight back. There is a reduction in magnification, but not much. For me it was the secret to a better working posture.

When Andrew Biggs and Mary came to visit, he found my arrangement almost impossible to work with ....... yes, the human frame comes in many different shapes and sizes!

best

long back Rod

monk

Staff member
glendikes, here tizz. this i think was originally a large jackstand. but could very easily be "scratch built". it's really only a tube within a tube. the inside tube is cross drilled to allow adjustment up & down in .5" increments. you can see the 3/8" cross pin that keeps it at the propper height. the top plate, which supports the turntable and vise is a.5" thick circle of pvc plastic.
i welded casters to allow it to roll about. the little arms sticking out have 5/8" nuts welded to the ends. this allows the stabilizing bolts to be turned down to lift the unit just slightly off the floor when in use. if this was not done, it would seem like an earthquake were in progress while using the scope.
i allow this is not very much to look at, but it was very cheap-- and above all it worx !

Attachments

• VISE STAND.jpg
    VISE STAND.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

monk

Staff member
andrew: as we speak, they are coming to take you back to the mother ship ! we will surely miss you.

Sponsors