Announcement: V3 901 piston update

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay, a few weeks back I said I'd try and find out about the drop in top end power with the new V3 piston. After talking to DJ Glasser about this in depth the conclusion is that there was a small sacrifice in top end whack and power in order to give a much smoother, versatile and highly usable 'front end'. If I'm honest, this is where most of my engraving and, I dare say most engravers, is. If chequering top levers I'd just crank up the 901's power and cut it but lately I've been switching to the Magnum to do this because of this lack of grunt.

However, there could be possible tuning issues that cause this problem and when sorted I'd go as far as to say the drop of power is only in the region of less than 10%.

So what to do? I can't speak for those of you that may experience this on a straight GraverMax/Mach (you may have to do your own research) but with Airtact installed this is what to do.

1) Tune your handpiece as normal
2) Turn the pressure on the Airtact right down
3) Close whatever 'element' you use to operate Airtact fully so it operates as hard as possible
4) Gradually open the pressure on the Airtact unit until it's operating as hard as possible
5) You'll find at a certain point the power suddenly drops off
6) Back off the pressure slightly and you'll find the handpiece operating at full power

Note: Don't try and tune the handpiece to the Airtact using the pressure gauge on the Airtact unit. Thanks to JB for finding out these tuning tips for me.

I hope this helps you guys with the V3 in your 901. I have certainly found the extra finesse is worth the sacrifice of a little bit of power.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors