Question: Earrings for haircuts

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm trading the gal that cuts my hair earrings for a bunch of haircuts. I am sort of thinking about putting copper hangers on them but I am not sure the best way to make them, and if they will turn the hole in the ear green. Any one have experience with this? Also, what is the best way to prevent tarnish on copper? Oil, varnish? Any advice would sure be appreciated.
Thanks, and please have a good day, Seth

Attachments

• Earrings 8-5-09 001.jpg
    Earrings 8-5-09 001.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Earrings 8-5-09 010.jpg
    Earrings 8-5-09 010.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 204

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
Those look really nice to me... you better be getting a fancy hair-do out of the deal.
I'd be cautious about putting copper in the ear. I think you might get some green, and some people (including my daughter) have problems with earrings that are not gold or hypo-allergenic - and with something as nice as those, you want to make sure she wears them a lot!
Gary

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Save yourself and your barber a lot of grief. Don't use copper; use sterling or stainless as in #1 Shepard's hooks which are available from Rio Grande and others.
Kevin P.

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
Definitely stay away from copper ear wires! Her skin will not like them. You can try a clear acrylic spray on the earrings, but it won't hold up permanently. As the earring dangles back and forth, any coating will eventually rub off or crack, and the skin oils and salts will then start tarnishing the copper---from underneath the remaining coating. Even though the color matches, copper would be a choice of last resort if I was making them.

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
I would defintaely go with some type of hypo allgenic or a stainless steel ear. wire with a set of plastic hypo allergenic stoppers on them. You can get these from any hobby store, and they are not that expensive. The stoppers help keep the earings in the ear holes. I've got four girls at home (including the wife) and you would be amazed how many single earrings I find all over the house ;) John C.

Jackson

Copper will turn skin green. Wires should be hypo-allergenic or sterling would also work. You can coat the copper with a 'clear coat' auto top coat from parts store. I usually warm the piece first, direct sunlight is my preference. Spray lightly to minimize pooling, let dry (sunlight) spray again. Hand rub with soft cloth.
Nice piece.
Jackson

nomentalgiant

Elite Cafe Member
Seth, I do like the earrings and I'm sure she will be thrilled when she gets them.
However, I have experimented with copper jewelry and it indeed turns the skin a nasty greenish color, so I would definitely steer clear from any copper ear wires.

bobkeyes

The best coating I've ever used to stop tarnish is Everbrite. I wouldn't want to use it on ear wires, but it will keep the ear ring from turning. Google it. They have a sample kit for about 15.00 US.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Amen Sandy. Bob, thanks for the tip and I found the website everbrite.net. I'll have to try some. Thanks for the kind words and pointers everyone. I don't usually like to do things in copper because of the oxidation, but sometimes people insist, and even I prefer the color over silver. Have a good weekend! Seth

docmike

Great Job Seth, I hope this gal who cuts your hair is not like the ones we saw in Kansas. keep up the good work, Mike

Latest posts

Sponsors