+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Earrings for haircuts

I'm trading the gal that cuts my hair earrings for a bunch of haircuts. I am sort of thinking about putting copper hangers on them but I am not sure the best way to make them, and if they will turn the hole in the ear green. Any one have experience with this? Also, what is the best way to prevent tarnish on copper? Oil, varnish? Any advice would sure be appreciated.
    Thanks, and please have a good day, Seth
    Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Those look really nice to me... you better be getting a fancy hair-do out of the deal.
    I'd be cautious about putting copper in the ear. I think you might get some green, and some people (including my daughter) have problems with earrings that are not gold or hypo-allergenic - and with something as nice as those, you want to make sure she wears them a lot!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Save yourself and your barber a lot of grief. Don't use copper; use sterling or stainless as in #1 Shepard's hooks which are available from Rio Grande and others.
    Kevin P.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely stay away from copper ear wires! Her skin will not like them. You can try a clear acrylic spray on the earrings, but it won't hold up permanently. As the earring dangles back and forth, any coating will eventually rub off or crack, and the skin oils and salts will then start tarnishing the copper---from underneath the remaining coating. Even though the color matches, copper would be a choice of last resort if I was making them.

Post Thanks / Like

I would defintaely go with some type of hypo allgenic or a stainless steel ear. wire with a set of plastic hypo allergenic stoppers on them. You can get these from any hobby store, and they are not that expensive. The stoppers help keep the earings in the ear holes. I've got four girls at home (including the wife) and you would be amazed how many single earrings I find all over the house John C.

Post Thanks / Like

Copper will turn skin green. Wires should be hypo-allergenic or sterling would also work. You can coat the copper with a 'clear coat' auto top coat from parts store. I usually warm the piece first, direct sunlight is my preference. Spray lightly to minimize pooling, let dry (sunlight) spray again. Hand rub with soft cloth.
    Nice piece.
    Jackson

Post Thanks / Like

Those are real nice Seth
    Black Mountain Bits and Spurs, & Big Game Hounds

Post Thanks / Like

Seth, I do like the earrings and I'm sure she will be thrilled when she gets them.
    However, I have experimented with copper jewelry and it indeed turns the skin a nasty greenish color, so I would definitely steer clear from any copper ear wires.
    James Perkins

Post Thanks / Like

The best coating I've ever used to stop tarnish is Everbrite. I wouldn't want to use it on ear wires, but it will keep the ear ring from turning. Google it. They have a sample kit for about 15.00 US.
    Bob Keyes

Post Thanks / Like

Seth,
    Haircuts???:thumbs up:

Sandy