Thought I'ld try a Derby cover

Jackson

Submitted for your approval, or not.
I bought a couple derby covers on ebay for $1 The first one was chrome so I ground that off with a wet sander, hence the texture. Second one came with a black powder coat so I engraved through it. The logo is one I usually freehand on a buckle. This time I used a pattern transfer. All cuts are bright cuts as I don't know how to do line cuts with a square graver.
Thanks
Jackson

Attachments

• 102_6294-1.jpg
    102_6294-1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 102_6295.jpg
    102_6295.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 102_6296.jpg
    102_6296.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 113
  • 102_6297.jpg
    102_6297.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 107

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jackson, to do line cuts with a flat graver you rock the graver up onto one of the corners. It can be the left or right corner - and many times I go back and forth depending on the direction of the cut. With the graver rocked up so that a corner point contacts the metal it will cut very similar to a square graver. One thing that would help tidy up the design is to go back and back-cut the lines so that they meet. For example in the shield on the right side the lines don't actually touch in the corners. Similar back cutting will help the letters for example the A E and D. These are subtle points, but will help with the overall continuity of the design. The eagle and overall design look good. :)

Jackson

Tira;
Thanks. I cut the letters with an onglette and although I did back cut, I guess I missed a couple. Same for the line cuts on the shield. Just neglected to double check before photos.

Jim;
I printed logo then glued it on the metal and cut through, then after I took off the paper I went back and touched up the cuts.

Thanks
Jackson

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
looks good to me. doing the fine line with a square is simple. just dont let the graver roll to the left or right. if you do, you'll get a wider cut when it rolls. you will want heels on the square. generally 15 degrees is good to start with. keep the heels short. that way you can do tight curves.

Latest posts

Sponsors