Tattoo Machine Frame Engraved

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
This is a tattoo machine frame "J" style. Made of 1018 cold rolled steel, cut easy. I used brownell's Oxtho Blue to cold blue it and I am happy with the results. One picture has been brightened so you can make out some details. Thanks for looking,

Last edited:

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
The first pic is just lightened up in Photoshop so that you can make out the scrollwork. I was actually going to do that trick with the lysol toilet bowl cleaner to just remove the blue from the scroll, but I liked the way it looked all blue so much better that I just kept it as is.

lesholmes

Elite Cafe Member
Really pretty. But please tell me about a tattoo frame, I'm way too old (66) to recognize it. Perhaps a picture of the machine in operation?

Thank you for understanding,

Les

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Looks good Chapi......
I've done a number of frames over the past several years, and they are a fun little diversion......
Some of the top names in the business have machines with my work.....
They sit in display cases in their shops, along with other junk they collect....hahahahain
Right now, I'm in the middle of doing a couple for my daughter...

Had a lot of tattooists and a few machine builders rave over my work, and get all excited, till ya tell em how much it cost.......
The builders will give you lots of work if ya give it to them free, or next to it..... but to add another 200-500 bucks on their frames....they can't/won't do it......

Kaplan will sell you blank frames with no holes if you ask them, but be advised..they are making them really thin now & not like the older ones.....
I'm doing one of the new ones just for display.....too thin to (no weight) for a good machine........I bought it "thinking" it would make a nice frame....
Also, Spaulding sells machine frame blanks, if anyone wants to play with steel ones...just the major holes in em, and no shape.....

And yes..They are called machines, NOT guns...

Les,
Next time ya got to the store, pick up a copy of any one of the many tattoo magazines on the rack...There will be tons of pics of tattoo machines in the ads........
This would be easier than trying to describe on of these things........
or just google it......That might be even easier... :)

Anywayzzz.....Nice work Chapi............
Like to see more ,if, or when, ya do any......

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
CJ- I think you are pretty much right about the average builder being cheap. The finishing quality of your average machine frame is a little less than what you would expect from your typical tool made in China. These cats think that because they put everything together by hand, but its all cnc'd, they can call it "hand made", but the majority aren't hand built. I plan on targeting individual artists that want an actual custom built machine raised to the next level. Might not be too much of a market for it, but its fun so...
Les- here is a pic of this machine with all the guts in it, and a grip attached. You hold the knurled piece like a pen, with the majority of the machine balanced over your hand. Pointy end goes in the skin, watch out for the burs...

tat2graver

Nice work Chapi,
I own & tattoo in a shop just outside of Camp Lejeune, NC....and I plan on engraving a few of my own frames as well.
And, yes, there is a difference between machine kits and building your own, Hell's Bells, Paul Rogers and the old school fellas used to hand wrap there own coils. We all can see the dedication to detail in that evolution.

I'll have to post some pics as soon as I get one completed... and it won't be a paperweight or used to prevent a shelf from levitating away.

Greg Cann