When I was a boy

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark Drain sounds familiar, and I remember Diablo, I don't know if they are still around.
Someone was asking how I cut western, and I thought I would post a pic or two.
here are some examples:

Last edited:

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
Bravo!

Mark Drain sounds familiar, and I remember Diablo, I don't know if they are still around.
Someone was asking how I cut western, and I thought I would post a pic or two.
here are some examples:

Barry, this is the Western Style that I like the most. Very eloquent, not crowded, and very expressive with the use of less cuts, a real masterpiece. Thank You for showing, and for the educational drawings - I'll try my luck with it. Just one question: are You left handed? Should I try to cut the mirror image of your drawings?

With due respect Ivan

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ivan,
I actually did these for transfer with acetone for a right handed student. so just transfer and cut.
Of course you do want to learn both ways, so after you get the hang of it , flip it and cut it the other direction.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is some more, and Sam, you can move this to tips if you think its helpful:

Western Style as cut by Barry Lee Hands at Gist engravers in the '70's.

I had been engraving about a year when I cut this for my grandfather:

These are some designs, print them out, reduce on a copier to 1 7/8 x 1 7/8 and transfer to a two inch plate, and cut for practice if you like.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks, Barry.
Your instructions and pictures are a very valuable resource.
From the wear on the face of the buckle it's easy to see that your Grandfather really enjoyed wearing it.
A few honest scars from a life well lived make it even more valued, I'm sure.

Best regards.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great Buckle & Story Barry. Thanks for posting it. Your work was great back then too. I'm not really surprised, looking at what you do now. Your work always amazes me.

Dwayne

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Barry, man I'm behind on reading all these posts! I'd just like to say what a great thread this is. Seeing the buckle so worn gave me that warm fuzzy feeling. It's obviously been worn with love and pride and not stuck away in a drawer somewhere to keep it pristine.

Thanks also for the great tutorial, one day I'll make the time to give this western stuff a go.

Sponsors