COLT CUSTOM from MY SHOP

JamesO

COLT M1911 CUSTOM BUILD

Coin carving is just another hobby (source of income) of mine. I re carve these coins into One-of-a-Kind works of art. Themes and artistic ideas are endless. I like to incorporate in most 24kt gold, silver, copper, bronze, iron, ivory, blacklip, or whatever works with the carving. The Buffalo Nickel is what I usually carve on to keep with the coin carving traditions of our American history (Hobo Nickels). Thus I am a Modern Hobo Nickel Carver.

This Colt Model 1911 is carved on a 1913 Buffalo Nickel. 1913 is the first year mint of these coins, if only they were minted in 1911. The significance of the date 1913 is that the M1911 was adopted into the NAVY and MARINE Corps in the year 1913 so it all ties together. Genuine pre ban Elephant Ivory grip inlayed into coin, 24kt gold pins thru coin that hold the ivory grip on, and 24kt gold inlayed C in the Colt logo. The Colt sculptured horse is a replica of a bronze that was made for Colt Firearms. I'm thinking I might checker the grip:rolleyes:

Hope You Enjoy and comments and critiques welcome.
1.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
JamesO,
Mighty fancy nickle you have created! The highest bidder on this will be lucky indeed!
:yes
gailm

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
If I can recall, the earlier Bulffalo Nickles had the date on a mound under the buffalo. These dates were the first to wear off, and you could not even see when the coin was struck. Later versions had the date recessed and was more durable.

Your date is very sharp. Did you re-cut it?

If that is the original condition of the date, then the coin must have been in very good condition.

It has been a long time since I pulled out some coins from my pocket and looked down at Buffalo nickel.

JamesO

These AREN'T currently up for sale, I am just adding some to my arsenal- pun intended.
Actually Charlie it was the words FIVE CENTS, on the reverse (buffalo side), that appeared in a mound under the buffalo. That was the 1913 Type 1. The revised 1913 Type 2 had the words FIVE CENTS under the mound the buffalo stood on.
The coins I start with do have some considerable value to them before I mess them up :)! A local coin dealer will not sell to me cuz I carve on them, no matter if I spend $50 or $3500 for a Buffalo Nickel. He actually doesnt like me to walk thru his business door!:cool:
The date and LIBERTY are not recut on this coin. I try to leave it untouched.

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
James, I am glad that I never tried with hobo nickel. If I ever did, Today would be my time to quit silently... Even the idea of checkering the Ivory gives me shiverings. What's next? Scrollwork on the slide?!

Great job.

Greetings - Ivan

JamesO

I thank you all for your kind words and support.
Andrew, u dont ask for much do ya? I might just do one in the future with all the fixins, as a challenge to myself. And I'm going to checker the grip tonight

BJREBUCK

Jameso,
ah yess, the ying and yang of the engraving world. Having been a coin collector for
many years i am at once appalled that someone would do such a thing to a fine old
collectable coin. On the other hand your work is very well done and a joy to behold.
It begs the question though, with your obvious talent why couldn't you start with
a coin with the date worn off (no collector value) and put same back on? Or a date
of your choosing. I.e. 1911. Just thinking.....
Brian

JamesO

Brian ( BJREBUCK), I asked myself the same question back when I first started carving coins. I soon found out that most of the collectors wanted my carvings on the higher graded coins. Crisper dates, LIBERTY and FULL horn Buffalo on the reverse. Clients have gone so far as to send me the coin to carve on, and they were in excess of $2000. Does it add to the value? Sure it does, cuz now its no longer a minted coin but a work of art. I do respect the coin collecting community and I support them. Many of the coin carver will state the same.
Honestly I am sitting here with a 1895-S $20.00 Liberty Head Double Eagle Gold ,that came to me from across the pond, drawing up a idea to carve on such a beautiful coin. And yet wondering myself- why did she choose this coin for me to carve on? :eek: