It finally happened.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's a long story----6 years to be exact, but worth the wait.
For now, I'll give you the "Readers' Digest" version.
In 2002, I was commissioned by the American Pistolsmiths' Guild to engrave a presentation pistol for President George W. Bush.
The gun was completed in the early summer of 2003, but then we learned that the gun could not be presented to GWB because of it's high value. We were going to have to wait until the President was out of office before a presentation could be arranged.
Then GWB got re-elected and set the process back at least 4 more years!!!!
Well....Monday, June 29th 2009 at 11:00 a.m. in Dallas, Texas a small delegation of the American Pistolsmith's Guild and two distinguished members of the Firearms Engravers Guild of America presented President George W. Bush with a Caspian Arms 1911 Auto pistol, complete with holsters and belts and beautiful silver belt buckle.
The entire presentation was a wonderful and gratifying experience.

Question: So how do you top that?????
Answer: Drive over to Ft. Worth and spend the afternoon and evening with Ron and Liz Smith.
I certainly had the time of my life with Ron and Liz.
We solved all of the world's problems and had a nice dinner out on the town. Too bad we couldn't have gotten some fishing in while sipping on Liz's refreshing iced tea.
I also had the privilege of presenting Ron with a casting from Weldon Lister's presentation belt buckle.
Ya' just gotta love Texas!

For the record: The belt buckle in the first photo was not the buckle that Weldon presented to President Bush. For reasons unknown to me, this is how the presentation pistol was photographed in 2003.

Attachments

• Presidents gun 27.jpg
    Presidents gun 27.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 225
  • GWBUSA1no2.jpg
    GWBUSA1no2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 215
  • Brian Powley With GWB.jpg
    Brian Powley With GWB.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
Kudos for your achievement Brian, it must have been frustrating to wait so long for the presentation, I wish it was four years earlier-Doh! That's quite the feather in your cap to be sure and it must have been a thril to be treated like a dignitary, surely that will be a prized gun for the Prez and the engraving job is top notch! I hope your picture is hanging in your studio.......
Hanging out with Ron and his wife sure sounds like the icing on the cake too, what an enjoyable trip huh?
Paul

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Congratulations Brian. That is something you , your children and your grandchildren can be proud of . I am happy for you.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Brian

Congratulations. I'm glad it all worked out well for you.

I'm sure that if the President knew about the gun and buckle he wouldn't have stood for a 2nd term. I hope he apologised for keeping you waiting :):):)

A great honour for you and Weldon...........and the president

Cheers
Andrew

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Congratulations both you, Weldon and Brian.
I understand it is not obvious to present things to the President, but on the other hand, who does not want a present like this and could refuse it?

arnaud

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Long wait, but smart of them to do it if they wanted the pistol to actually go to Mr. Bush.

For those who don't know it, gifts to Government officials over a certain value (and it's something pretty low, I think either $25 or $500 - may vary by office) are actually gifts to the government. Had they presented the pistol while he was in office then it would have been property of the USA and stayed with it. Probably at the Smithsonian, where it may wind up anyway, some day.

Now that he's once again a private citizen he gets to keep things like this.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That must have been a thrill for you. Now there's another famous person from Steubenville:) Congrats Brian. By the way the gun looks great.

Dennis Sprague

Elite Cafe Member
BRIAN,
Congratulation's this must have been quiet a thrill to walk into the president's office and present to him a piece, that is not only a fine pistol, but also a part of your heart and soul.
I am sure that it was a honor for him to receive your's and Weldon's fine work.
DENNIS

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

I just finished your article in the Engraver & I must say, after reading it, looking at the work & knowing you personally I can truly say: you are a gifted, multi-talented individual, well deserving of the title Master Engraver!!
Bravo,

Weldon

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Brian i wished my Caspian looked that good!!! Congratulions that is quite an honor.
Everytime i see a new pic of the President i am struck by how much he aged while in office.
Steve

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, That is some pretty exciting stuff you got going on there. Congrats on all you have accomplished. I think you deserve a fishing trip! Doug

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, everyone! Thank you all for the ":thumbs up:"
The entire event---that actually started in 2002---has been a real interesting experience about pursuing your dreams and never,never,ever giving up on yourself.

Did you hear that? Never,never,ever give up on yourself.
Stop and take a good long look in the mirror---you know that person and you know what's in their heart.