Question: Bright cut with 45 flat

doug

I recently bought Dianes Scaleces dvd on western bright cut and have been practicing.In the dvd she uses 37-39-41-and45 flats,Im not doing to bad with the three smaller flats but the 45 is really hard to push.Ive sharpened it like she said in the dvd-40 face and 20 belly.I noticed in the dvd she uses her 45 with power so Im wondering if a 45 is just to big to hand push or do I need to use a different face and belly or do I need power.If so would GRSs system 3 be a good system for bright cutting.
Your advice is needed,Doug Lovedahl

MichaelBaer

Doug,I was strictly a pusher because I`d never tried anything else.
Late in my 40`s I started to stiffen up during cutting and bemoaned the coming loss of a pleasurable and profitable pastime.At catalog-in -motion I bought Foredom`s power-graver and finally a Gravermeister
Power up while it`s still a matter of choice. MichaelBaer

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doug,

"Cowboy" Greg does some very lovely western bright with only hand push, and has posted here often. I would suggest a sharper front face if you are push graving, and you will soon find out if the face angle is too sharp, as it will dig in. Remember to round the heel? There is no need to go for maximum width bright cuts when you are starting out. Be modest with the width of your bright cuts, and do tons of practice on this one cut. There is something to be said for considering air assist, as we need to insure we have a long innings when working at our craft. In the old days, working with a whale oil lamp shared among five jewelers, a teenage apprentice often had to be let go in his twenties as his eyes failed, so keeping mindful of eyes and muscles is a good idea. I have air assist, yet still enjoy going back to push engraving from time to time.

Good luck!

Rod

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Doug i hand push and use a 45 for most of my cutting, I use a 37 1/2 degree face and a 22 degree radiused heel,and it works pretty good for me. Hope that helps you.
Steve

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve,

I was looking at your website examples, and, of course, admiring the New Mexico landscapes! Thanks for your exact angles on front face and heel, I will check these against mine, and if different, maybe give your angles a shot when I am pushing, with your permission?

best

Rod

Last edited:

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Rod thank you for checking out my website! You bet try them out and let me know what you think.
Steve

Sponsors