sculpted and textured elk

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a project that is really out of the ordinary for me. This is a side plate (stock inlay) for a mauser 98. The gun already had some engraving on the bottom metal, english scroll which I do not really do much of, but faked my way through it and it matches the existing engraving. Also a sculpted elk was requested, something I have done only one time, a few years ago, so hear is the second sculpted animal, which I did a couple days ago. I still have some odds and ends to put some scroll on but, the elk was the interesting portion of the job for me. Now that I have done one and like the result, I may pursue the sculpting a bit more, on the guns anyway, not on my knives. Thanks for looking. Brian

[/IMG]

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, although the picture is not a 3D one, it looks you have some great relief on the sculpted elk. Looks super good.

I don't know it is the photo, but perhaps the background just above the elk' s head at the right need you attention, as on the photo is looks like there is another piece of antler.

arnaud

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice Brian! Looks super.
Now, I have a question. A sideplate? Is this a European type stocked rifle? Just wondered.
Rex

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
and another thing Brian, what kind of depth would you estimate the background is relieved to ? Coinface or lowrelief is always the toughest type of sculpting.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice job Brian,

Good looking elk! For a second attempt that is exceptional. It only gets better,

but not much.

Ron S

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Brian, That looks pretty nice. Wish i would had a bit longer to chat with you at blade. Like Andrew said i wouldn't rule out the possibilities on a knife. Maybe not the high end stuff but for sure on a hunting knife if there was room. Great job! Doug

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you've done an extraordinary job on this, i think. the elk looks real. bravo, i say.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Rex, I am not sure what style of stock that is going on it. The last gun I did for him he did a manlicher (sp?) stock, could be doing the same. we will find out in January.

Ken, the background is relieved about .005" so a little deeper than normal background removal but not super deep. The metal is not real heavy, so I went as deep as I could without pushing through it.

One thing I did find was sculpted work is hard to photograph and show it's true depth. Bulino work may be flat but in a photo it can look a mile deep, this elk has quite a bit of depth and dimension to it when you look at it first hand, but really flattened out in the picture. I tried an angle shot but the elk is so small, a little over a half inch tall, that elk just looked distorted and added little dimensional effect to the shot. So I am not sure the trick, or if there is one. Anyway, thanks all for taking a look and thanks for the kind words. Brian

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian

Try keeping the camera straight on and angling the light (or at least a light). Just like bulino puts in shadows to make a flat scene look 3D, with something that's really 3D you need the shadows to show it.

Latest posts

Sponsors