Mystic Wooden Boat Show

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Something a little different.... This is a picture of me on "Elf" at the Mystic Wooden Boat Show this past weekend. I did the bell for her. She's the oldest racing yacht in the world built in 1888. She's 64 feet long, 68 feet high, has a 5 ton lead keel and takes a crew of 12 to race. :)

Attachments

• EngravingOnElf_0004.jpg
    EngravingOnElf_0004.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 220
  • ElfBellMount_0010.jpg
    ElfBellMount_0010.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 238

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cool. I saw that the wooden boat show was going on but I was at the opposite end of the state this weekend.

I bet it was a great time.

Congratulations on doing the bell Tira.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Actually, Tira and Rob stopped by my shop on the way to the show. We had a great visit, and Tira brought along her 'airtact' rig for me to try out. Very generous of her, considering everything she had to do to get ready for the Boat Show.

This is a great community we have here.

Tom

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, I didn't engrave the bell while it was attached to the boat. The second picture is when the Captain was holding it up so he could get a measurement to mount the bell after I finished it. I did do an engraving demo on the boat for the 3 day show. It was a lot of fun to crew.

Tom, it was great to see you! Hope to see you at Dixon's. :)

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gee Tira,
You have grown a lot of hair on your arms since I saw you last. HeeHeehee
Ron S

Kidding aside, congratulations!! Did you get to sail on her?

Ron S

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Peter E. - It would have been great to meet you. I met many artist types, but no engravers at the show.

Ron - Don't forget the chest hair.... :) I have not been on her to sail yet. She was just relaunched last April after a 17 year refit. Every stick of wood on her has been replaced with the same type of wood, etc. as per the original photos. She sailed up from Philadelphia to Mystic and will be summering around New England before the down rigging which will occur in Maryland (St. Michael's is her home port) in early November.

I'm not sure I have the time to attend to the racing crew on her. It will take a lot of time and practice to get ready. I'm also not sure I'm strong enough. They are eyeing my soon to be 16 year old who is 6'3" and a wrestler - he will be strong enough. Due to Elf's history there are no mechanical winches, etc. - everything on her is done by hand.

At least I did not draw the short straw to shimmy out on the bowsprit to tie off the canvasses on the forward sail. That was crazy in the rain....

armcarve

Tira,
My goodness, this picture is like trying to find where's waldo. I know you are in there somewhere girl. :)
Seriously, congrats on the Elf. What a great experience & cool engraving.
Best of all, it was great seeing you & Rob,
Amy

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Congratulation Tira! That bell looks great hanging in the ship!
Would like to see a close-up picture of the bell...
Cheers, Leonardo.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Mystic Seaport is indeed a very nice museum with wooden boat and metal workshops. They have anything from small sporting yachts to the big whaling ship Charles W. Morgan. I found it quite interesting and it is well worth a visit. Tira, will look for your bell next time I be there...

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's pretty cool. I'd like to see a closeup of the bell also. It sounds like you know what your talking about driving that thing.
But Tira seriously though you should bring a razor

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
tira: i'll bet that old bell even sounds better, now that your art embellishes it !

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good thing the show was LAST weekend! Mystic and southeast CT has been deluged the last few days.

Mystic is a nice town in a nice part of CT.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Tira,
When you engraved the bell was it noisy????:)
Does Dixons still have the gunmakers fair?
I was going to go out that way for a weekend with the kids....
Thanks,
Keith

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ah...summer days, Tira!

What a great thing to be doing, and fine bell engraving!

This just reminded me that the wood boat festival is happening as I write in the 17th century harbor in Portsoy, Scotland, not five minutes from my Scottish cottage, the weather has been fine there, and here am I in foggy cold California, when I should be over there. Bad timing for me this year.

Best wishes!

Rod

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Keith, The bells are very noisy. I usually have to have ear protection on because I can't stand the racket. My kids usually come by and ask when I'll be done..... It's a project the entire family can enjoy.....

I believe Dixon's is going on again this year. I'm not sure of the dates.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Tira,
Went to Mystic years ago it was very nice.
I was wondering about the noise with the bell....
Do you have any close up photos?

I checked and Dixons is July 24 25 26 I will be there on Saturday with the family.
I had fun there years ago.
Thanks,
Keith

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors